Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know about a lot of other people, but I absolutely HATE DRLs...I don't mind the amber ones GM is starting to use on Buick/Chevy Corvette/etc...but to have a headlight on at reduced power does not appeal to me when I see a nice car drive by with them.

It almost looks as if the G6 above has the amber ones, and not the reduced headlight. Is there anyway to change it to this? They look brighter than the parking lights if you look closely. If there's not a way to change it, I guess I'll stick to hitting the fogs everytime I get into the car (which I do with my Focus...but at least it doesn't have DRLs! :mad: ).

·
Registered
32 Posts
When in the AUTO position on the stalk, the lights will operate fully automatically. On at night and DRL in light.

There is a position to turn them off (the DRL), but you have to do this each ignition, has the default position is AUTO.

The settings are:

-Off (a simple flip to this position will turn all headlight off, it will then return to AUTO with a display on the DIC saying "Lights OFF".
-AUTO
-PARKING
-HEADLIGHTS

So yea, by putting it in PARKING, you can have just the amber ones. If you turn on the fogs while in Off or AUTO, the ambers come on automatically, and the DRL's will shut off.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was aware of how they worked, as I found out in my GF's GASE...at least they made it so you can override the reduced power headlamps in the newer models. I was wondering, though, if the reduced power headlights could be switched to the "ultra-bright ambers" as seen on Corvette, etc. Apparently not, though. :(

·
Registered
279 Posts
You are talking about "turn signal" DRL. As you know the G6 uses reduced intensity low beam DRL. You wouldn't want to change your vehicle to use turn signal DRL because the lamps probably aren't designed for steady ON operation (too much heat).

The operation mentioned about turning switch to "Park" position does a "dim to Park" which turns on front and rear marker lamps in vehicle overriding DRL (in day) or headlamps (at night) but for Canadian owners that feature will only work with the shifter in Park (auto trans) or park brake applied (manual trans) because Canada has actual legal requirements for Daytime Running Lamps.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
e2helper said:
You are talking about "turn signal" DRL. As you know the G6 uses reduced intensity low beam DRL. You wouldn't want to change your vehicle to use turn signal DRL because the lamps probably aren't designed for steady ON operation (too much heat).
Exactly what I was talking about. That's a bummer...I think that would look better anyways. Oh well, guess I'll stick to the park/fogs like I said. No biggie.

·
Registered
34 Posts
DRL's

It's nice to see that people on this site, some at least, have read their owner's manual. Under 'headlights' it explains at great length how to run without DRL's and the difference between American and Canadian made G6's.
On the 'other' site it has become the subject of much jabbering and pulling of hair. Different type of clientel?
GTPdriver

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just deleted the Drls all together. I took out fuse 46 in my coupe so there not running anymore. I don't want to get into a big debut like they did on the other forums but yes it is easy to get rid of them anyhow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts