Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a stupid question, so bare with me... but yesterday i took off the throttle body to trace the size and bolt placement and everything to have a buddy of mine make me a throttle body spacer. and when i was doing this i noticed that the piece inside the throttle body that rotates back and forth when the gas pedal is pressed (sorry i dont know the name of it) isnt sitting flat, it rests at a small angle and there is a small gap between this piece and the wall of the throttle body. now my question is is it supposed to rest like that? or is it supposed to rest like a seal?

when i took the throttle body off, i could press this flap thing so it would seal around the edge of the wall but after i took pressure off of it with my finger it would go back to resting at an angle. if anyone knows the answer, thanks in advance!

· Varsity Squad
751 Posts
I have heard it called a butterfly?, but anyways, I would think it needs to be slightly open to allow some air in for the car to be able to idle. Be careful pressing on the that with your finger, because it is electronic and should be moved by depressing the gas pedal, i've heard of people breaking it trying to clean their throttle body and its not a cheap part.

· Registered
5 Posts
i in this problem right now, i clean the throttle body and now the rpm will increase on its own. if i replace the throttle body will it fix my problem, or do i have to reset something. will disconnecting the battery post reset the codes or system?

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
nah i didnt take mine apart like that. ive had this problem for a few months now. no codes... and when i cleaned it(i cleaned it at the same time i took it off to trace the pattern), i took the throttle body off and took a rag and lightly cleaned the inside of it. i didnt really move the butterfly at all. then put her back on. and now i have this problem.

and i have no idea what those things were you listed. this is the first time ive ever dealt with an electronic tb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.