Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Da.v3
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ticketed for DRL not working, and license plate covers.

So, im from Winnipeg, MB, Canada...driving down Portage ave - main street through the city of 800-900,000.

It was the 1st time I have ever been pulled over and actually been like...WTF did i do wrong..

In the past ive been speeding and pulled the whole, act dumb..i didnt know i was speeding...

anyway i was like...uhm, is there a problem officer? he said i have plate covers, drls not working and i have tint....

he comes on out with tint testers...sure enough THEY PASS, i know cause i got the legal limit...

then he is dick enough to ticket me for plate covers?...sure, they improve the look of your car - THEY DO NOT INHIBIT PICTURES OR VIEW OF YOUR LP

Not to mention it turns out my fuse is blown for my DRL.

SOOOOOO pissed off. im ready to ****ing snap and smack a bitch.
FFS.

Alright so among 1000000000000000000 internet reviews, EVEN ON MYTH BUSTERS...they test plate covers...it doesnt limit pictures of your pl being taken...FFS

not to mention i looked up the law before i inistalled the plate covers...it says...if the plate is covered with ability or intention of preventing images being taken it is illigal...EVEN ON THE TICKET HE HAS IT WORDED THAT WAY.

i mean shit, these are 2$ plate covers. they dont do shit other than look neat.

anyway, my whole family is involved in law and i have stood by police time and time again and this is the 1st time in my life i feel like snapping and saying **** THE POLICE.

some ****ing jackass ****s are straight power trippers.

I suppose the coupe with some mods - plate covers, tinted alteza tails, eagle eye headlights and tint cause eyes to wonder and draw unneeded attention. FFS. uncle is a detective, dad is a correctional officer, mom is an ex correctional officer and now works in maintenance, other uncle is a retired rcmp officer.......me being a law obiding citizen mean an thing? nope.

me being targeted for having a sharp looking car? im thinking yes. this old ass RCMP officer looked like he was drunk as shit himself. had a red nose, old as shit.

i made him nervous as hell when i said i looked up the laws before i installed the plate covers. says it must be visable from blank feet and not obstruct images of being taken - tested and proven. not only by scientific testes - but myself shit i went on trip...took pics of my car...and thought my lp cover fell off cause its not visible when pics are taken.

if you cant tell im sour as shit and ready to **** society and law and common sense in the ass and say **** it all. needless to say im fighting BOTH this tickets 170 for one and 190 for the other. ill keep this thread posted. it will be months down the line by the looks of it as thats when the date is set.

· Da.v3
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Summary for those with an attention span like mine:

Was ticket recently for having lisence plate covers and DRL ( day time running lights) not working

200$ a piece, roughly

turns out it was a blown fuse - cause by who knows what, i have fixed it since.

by law, license plates cant be covered or inhibit images of being taken or viewed. NO PLATE COVERS ON THE MARKET DO THIS. not to mention the set i got from walmart.

It was tested thoroughly by mythbusters, as well as on all the branding and testing by the companies that put out these plate covers and whatnot. it is merely to protect the plate and for looks. from registration date stickers from being pushed off by power washes and whatnot.

will keep all posted

· Moderator Member Thingy
1,369 Posts
DRL is required by law in Canada? That's weird

License plate covers look lame and 90% of them I see here (Deep South of US) has tint or a reflective coating.

· Premium Member
5,786 Posts
not a fan of covers. DRL's are required? Wow.....
Why mad a the cops? If its a law and you broke it...?
They get paid to enforce the laws.

Sorry you got nailed.....I drove a car with expired plates today.

Im tempting fate. lol

· Da.v3
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im for sure pro cops most the time...but wth in this case?

DRL's of all things? and plate covers that have no effect....

talk about 2 controversial things, no?

shit, i wasnt speeding, i didnt do ANYTHING. clearly targeting me for the car, or me being young.

I notice now at least 25% of cars i see daily have no drl's. plate covers? all over. people with dirty unreadable plates - all over.

I truly feel victimized.

Cops DO have far better things to do with serious crimes. How about someone who is actually breaking a law that effects society.

And the fact he even tested my low tint really pushed my buttons. just that shows he was trying to just ding me for anything and everything he could.

and he didnt even tell me to take the plate covers off! just let me drive away. you would think if he knew in his mind that it truly was obstructing view of my plate he would have confiscated them or destroyed them? or even make me remove them at the least?

· Varsity Squad
751 Posts
That all sucks! I would fight the plate covers for sure, and the DRLs if they are not required to work. In Pennsylvania we have to have our lights on during rain, snow, at night, when operating windshield wipers, and driving in a construction area. If we have a light out you are subject to be pulled over and ticketed, no matter if it is a sidemarker, running light, fog light, or headlight, but nothing about having DRLs. Good luck, and most of the time I just say F**k the Police!

· Registered
1,420 Posts
Winnipeg cops like to target young drivers. my buddy got pulled over once. cop told him his car was too low because he couldnt get 2 fingers between the tire and fender. also told him his stock headlights were illegal because they werent dot approved and that his fog lights were illegal because they had a yellow cover on them. had his car towed and didnt give him a ticket.

i can understand why they would pull you over for thinking you had illegal plate covers, but like you said people all over winnipeg drive around with their plates too dirty to read them. Lots of people alo drive around with burnt out headlights at night.

either way good luck with fighting the tickets. hopefully you win!

· Registered
61 Posts
Bring in a photo of the car with DRLs functioning and if I were you I would take it to a local car repair joint and get them to re-replace the fuse and get the receipt to show the judge. He'll probably take mercy on you for it.

As for the plate covers, if the law says you can't have ANY plate covers on at all (Illinois just enacted this law recently) you're SOL but if the law only prohibits covers that restrict the view of the plates I would fight it. Bring in a picture of the plates on the car as well as bring in one plate and one cover to show the judge.

Good luck!

· Da.v3
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info black. the law indeed does say cant restrict the view of it. i plan on doing exactly what you said!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.