Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 06 g6 gt coupe lowered.

ok so heres my issue. drivers side outer tie rod is bad which is no problem because i can change that quick. but mechanic tried to say my inner tie rod on passenger side is bad. I have EPS and from what i see and understand is that there are no inner tie rods because they are built into the rack.

i can move the passenger tire side to side by putting hands at 9 and 3. pretty loosely i might add. i just replaced the outer tie rod in the past 6 months with MOOG Part No. ES800086. anyone here of the racks built in inner tie rod giving this much play or do you think the outer is bad already. Also it has been taken in last year for the power steering recall situation.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
There are inner tie rods on your car & depending on mileage if one outer rod is worn out I would be inclined to replace inners & outers on both sides if you plan on keeping the car for awhile. They aren't particularly hard to do on this car & not expensive. Maybe $150 max for parts & no special tools required.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so are they underneath the boots then? i seen elsewhere that the electronic power steering didnt have inners. and when i looked at the pics of the rack and pinion they were already build into it.

also this thread is pointless now lol i threw out one of my cylinders. i have a 40 min drive to my parents garage and i got 2 miles from the house and my oil light kicked on and then heard knocking and then the engine shut off. i put it in nuetral and coasted till i found a place to park. then i put 2 quarts of oil which lowered the knocking sound but at this point a road bearing or something is spun or something. so now im trying to find a engine tear down guide or a schematic.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
so are they underneath the boots then? i seen elsewhere that the electronic power steering didnt have inners. and when i looked at the pics of the rack and pinion they were already build into it.
Yes, the socket is protected by a boot. It's standard R&P steering.

·
Registered
606 Posts
i have an 06 g6 gt coupe lowered.

ok so heres my issue. drivers side outer tie rod is bad which is no problem because i can change that quick. but mechanic tried to say my inner tie rod on passenger side is bad. I have EPS and from what i see and understand is that there are no inner tie rods because they are built into the rack.

i can move the passenger tire side to side by putting hands at 9 and 3. pretty loosely i might add. i just replaced the outer tie rod in the past 6 months with MOOG Part No. ES800086. anyone here of the racks built in inner tie rod giving this much play or do you think the outer is bad already. Also it has been taken in last year for the power steering recall situation.
Your rack is worn out, take the boot and slide it back and you will see the
the worn housing. Been there ,done that. Actually easy job to replace rack.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
unfortunatly, now with knock i described in my second reply above i think i am just going to trade it in and take a hit rather than spend time and money i dont have.

i tried lucas and oil mixture which didn't help so its for sure a rod.

in park or neutral it knocks pretty good. but at 1500 - 2000 rpms the sound completely disappears. so that is kinda throwing me off. I have not taken it for a drive to get the rpms that high because im afraid to make it even worse and damage anything more. And dropping the sub frame down and all just to remove and oil pan to see where im at with it is impossible due to time. Im a full time IT admin for a large corporation and on call 24/7.

last time i had a knock like this was in an integra and it was only a $100 car so i jumped on the gas and shot the rod through the front of the engine lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts