Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Tinking/Clicking Noise

21K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  dwhiteg6gt 
#1 ·
Greetings,

So I recently bought a new but used 2007 G6 GT. I've had it for a week and half. I've noticed after driving it for 20 min to whenever I stop I hear a tinking/clicking noise as if it was hot and its trying to cool off. It never goes away until the car is off and sat for about 20 min. I know it gets hot but I haven't noticed this noise on any other G6's. Its really starting to piss me off. Its loud to. AND I NEVER RUN THE A/C. Does anyone have any clue/advice/etc for me? Maybe something is lose or something isn't right?

All the help would be greatly appreciated. Btw, I've noticed a little loss in taking off/acceleration lately. My car is sort of acting up. Someone please help or tell me to look for something.

The tinking/clicking noise has been like this since the day I purchased it. I was just told it was "cooling" off or whatever. I find this very weird and odd. My truck never even did this.

Dillon :cool:

#3 ·
Dang. How easy is it to take the cathletic converter off? Has anyone else had this problem or issue? I'll be driving up to a stop light and when stopped I can hear it tinking/clicking. I'm getting frustrated! I don't think this is common or right for my car so any more help is greatly appreciated.

#4 ·
When you turn the car off does the ticking stop?

If it's ticking or clicking when it's running (most notable at idle) you may have a problem with the EVAP system. TSB # Bulletin No.: 06-06-02-002C.

I had this problem and it drove me nuts and its embarrassing when sitting in traffic. This also can cause a erratic idle when stopped.

If its clicking the same with engine off or on then it's something else.

Remember though, sometimes your engine will click an pop when it's cooling down when parked. This is caused by common expansion and retraction due to heating and cooling of metal..most often it's heat shields around the exhaust manifolds.

#6 ·
If its clicking the same with engine off or on then it's something else.

Remember though, sometimes your engine will click an pop when it's cooling down when parked. This is caused by common expansion and retraction due to heating and cooling of metal..most often it's heat shields around the exhaust manifolds.
Mine has been clicking also when its off or on, and i've heard similar noises from other vehicles i've thought it was similar to what jetmech was saying.

#5 ·
It just always sounds as if its cooling down that something is dripping onto something hot you know? I'm not to sure how to describe it but a ticking/clicking noise. But it happens all the time. When car is off it does it for a good 20 min or so.

What did you do to make yours stop? My brothers girlfriend car is same year and everything as mine but different color. Her's does not do this.

"TSB # Bulletin No.: 06-06-02-002C" - Could you link me?

Sorry, I'm such a noob still. I just want to resolve this problem.

#7 ·
So any suggestions on what I should actually do? :D

#8 ·
I sent you a PM with directions. The TSB I have is for an 06 with 3.9l.

Should be similar. If you want to PM me your email addy I will send you the word document. For some reason the pictures from the TSB will not show up here or on PM's.

You can try the fix in the TSB and see if it helps. If your clicking is caused by cooling of the heat shield there is not much you can do..I have a feeling that it's the EVAP system from your description.

BTW I used to live there close to where you are. I lived in Alton, used to work in Collinsville. Girlfriend worked at St.Louis auto auction.

#11 ·
Last time I went by it, it was still up. One of the weirdest things I've ever seen. Funny how you remember that! haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.