Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Tint around 3rd brake light or not?

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  THECATMAC 
#1 · (Edited)
I am getting my car tinted. If I could figure out how to take the 3rd light out for the tinter I probably would, but do you think it would be more safer to tint around 3rd brake light?

#4 ·
I understand what your saying but my third brake light is in the trunk lid, not the rear window so i had no problems when i tinted mine.

#5 ·
my third brake light is on the trunk lid as well.
Also it has a tint on it that says "PONTIAC"

I don't know where the prior owner got it but it looks cool to me.

As for tinting around a third brake light on a package tray, my answer is not simple.

First, I hate it when people tint rear windows on cars. the heated rear windows always screw up the tint, then they just look stupid. Mine had tint on all windows sometime before i got it and I'm STILL trying to get rid of the residue from the tint on the rear window.

If you insist on doing the rear window, I'd say have them cut around it because making a rear brake light darker may be illegal and it does make it harder for people behind you to see that you are braking.

When the SAE started requiring third brake lights rear end collisions went down a lot. Therefore, messing with something that might keep someone from hitting you is a bad idea in my book.

The only way I would agree with tinting over the whole thing is if you don't use a very dark tint.

Also, most tints put on the rear window will royally screw your radio reception as the antenna for the radio IS the rear defroster on these cars. that little baby antenna up front is for Onstar or XM.

The only way to get a rear window tinted on these cars and not screw up your radio reception is to spring for the much more expensive ceramic based tint, it definitely looks good, but its a LOT more expensive.

Hope this is helpful.

#6 ·
Also, most tints put on the rear window will royally screw your radio reception as the antenna for the radio IS the rear defroster on these cars. that little baby antenna up front is for Onstar or XM.
Not true. The radio antenna is the grid of wires in the upper 15-20% of the back window, the one that doesn't quite follow the parallel line patter of the defroster grid below it. And the shark fin is for OnStar AND XM. They are on different frequencies and each needs its own antenna.

The only way to get a rear window tinted on these cars and not screw up your radio reception is to spring for the much more expensive ceramic based tint, it definitely looks good, but its a LOT more expensive.
True that. It was twice as much for ceramic at the shop where I had mine done.

~ MattInSoCal

#7 ·
Well I have heard a lot about the whole tint will screw up the radio and defroster but I have tint on mine and its not ceramic. I have not had any problems with defroster or radio, I have had it done for over a year now.

#9 ·
No.
Just go to CarTunes and get it tinted. They are located on woodward. They did mine and it turned out nicely.

#11 ·
Going to car tunes on Gratiot, Son-in-law just quit from there as the garage boss putting electrical whatever in, but owner has him come in on Saturdays and work. He will be my eyes to make sure it is done correctly. Son-in-law now wires in everything in police cars.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.