Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
MonsterG6
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dont know how you tint the taillights but is there some sort of tinting spray that you spray on it...or is it exactly the same way you tint the windows?

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
All i know is that it can be done just like you do the windows..all i have seen is the tinted film

·
MonsterG6
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay yeah thats what i thought but i read about some tinting spray and was confused...do tinting shops do that also?

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,351 Posts
Night shade.....I just used some to trim around the Camaro's back tail lights just last week.
Turned out pretty good but man does it get dark fast. Do very light coats till you get the degree shade that you want.
VHT makes it. This is what the older cans look like. The newer ones are more purple looking...

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
Does that work and look as good as the film

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
Haha thats interesting..guess im sticking to the "film" or what ever its considered

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
Whats better the tint film or spray

·
Registered
45 Posts
If you check out my g6 on my profile i have pictures of my blacked out tail lights. Personally i think very highly of the night shade. Ive used it on all my cars including my girlfriends. You can either use one coat for a nice light tint. or a second coat for a medium tint. Then can will tell you that it only recomends three coats so that way the tail lights will still be visiable if it was me i would go with the night shade. I mean i put them on my gfs ford focus and they look nice put againts the white car i went three nice coats on it. The only thing is when painting you have to make sure you get nice even coats on it if not you will have some light and some dark spots. And make sure you do the same step for the second light or you will be able to tell a diffrence in my opion. Ive also heard some people say that they spray clear over top of the night shade honestly i dont but i mean its up to you. I didnt on my car or my gfs car and they both have a nice shine to them

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
So night shade is better..im just afraid of messing up

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I've seen some people tint their cars and it makes it look like the outside of the tail lights are covered in a rubber texture with no gloss at all. It's from tinting and looks ugly as crap. I like the gloss of the taillight.

·
Midnight Blue GT
186 Posts
I've seen some people tint their cars and it makes it look like the outside of the tail lights are covered in a rubber texture with no gloss at all. It's from tinting and looks ugly as crap. I like the gloss of the taillight.
so are u saying dont tint

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
I have little to no experience in this field. One day I plan on tinting my tail lights, but I'm going to do it right. Those examples I gave could just be a bad tint job.

You could look at Flyeyes if you want. I've heard of some decent reviews from them. You can even legally tint the headlights as well. Although I'm not a fan of the hexagon pattern on them, it will make the tinting unique and also the lights work as if there is no film over it.

Link to some pictures:
http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=273271&page=5

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Waterfowler gave me some awesome tips for mine (whenever I get a chance to do it) like he said prep and take ur time and they will look just as good as his :p

·
Registered
45 Posts
On the night shade if you do mess up and dont like it for some reason you can wet sand it back off with some light sand paper. For an example i decided i wanted to spray clear coat over them what ended up happening is the clear coat reacted all i did was take some light sand paper and wet sand the tail light back till they were red and sprayed them again. Personaly if its me i would not put any clear coat on them at all i mean mine shine without clear coat and i think they turned out really nice. The best thing to do is take your time and dont get in a rush. And they will turn out just fine. Its gonna turn out way better than if you try to put tint on them. and the tint i think personally is gonna be alot harder

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
If anyone is nervous about doing the spray tint you could get fly eye tint. Its just a film that it dummy proof,

1 - 17 of 17 Posts