Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stock 17 inch rims on the pontiac g6 and i know the stock tire size is 225/50/17 but i bought 225/55/17 and i took it to a shop. They told me that it could possibly rub on the insides and told me to do some research. I wanted to ask, will 225/55/17 fit on the 17 inch rim and not rub? Thank you

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
The new tire is about 1/2" taller. Try turning your wheel all the way in one direction then take a look at the space on both the front and back of that wheel well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I always use this calculator for tire size questions. tire link . I trust it, and I have to deal with this stuff as part of my job. I don't understand why the 225/50R17 is spec'd when the 225/55R17 and the 225/50R18 are within 1/8" of the same height. Why spec a shorter tire?
Long story short, your tire choice is the same overall height as the 18 inch tire, and both are used interchangeably on the G6 depending on options, but that doesn't change the size of the wheel house. No rub, Use it.

However, if you were on the 17's withh 50's going to the 55's, it is a little taller, and that means a little more dynamic (moving) weight, so you may notice a slight difference in braking and accelerationn. Not much, but it will be there.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It won't rub but you may notice a slight downgrade in performance such as slower acceleration, longer braking distance, less precise handling, etc. Stock size is generally the optimum set-up for all around driveablity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so overall you guys say it will not rub just performance will go down and braking. I really dont care that much its just i wasted more than 200 on like new tires on craigslist and then went to the shop and they said sell those tires cause they will rub and with the money you made add some more and buy the correct tires from us. Basically they said it wont work and if it will than it will rub the insides out within half a year.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I got larger tires on my car. I'm fairly certain the 225/55/17's will not rub. And as for loss in performance it really depends on what kind of tires you buy. If you go with eco tires designed to get the best mileage then yea, they won't be that great, but they'll be pretty close to OEM. but if you go with an ultra high performance tire then if anything you'll only see improvements.

A taller sidewall is most likely going to give you a little bit of a smoother ride and take the bumps a little better. and can feel a little less "connected" in turns.

A high performing tire will have softer tread and stiffer sidewalls and you probably won't loose much there

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The loss of performance they are talking about is actually due to the size difference of the tire. A larger diameter tire rotates less per distance than smaller tires do over that same distance. Larger tires also cause your engine to rev lower where as smaller tires will make it rev higher while cruising. That alone, is what leads to performance losses.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Yup. A taller tire in effect changes the drive ratio so the engine will have to work harder to turn the wheel which then result is a performance loss. Same theory applies when it comes to braking. The brakes will have to work harder to stop the car and therefore takes a longer distance to stop. Then there is the slight offset in suspension geometry which will have an impact on handling and cornering.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The 2007 G6's with 17" wheels had two different options for tires with two different speed ratings.

Hankook H725 P225/50R17 93S BW 1292M+S
Continental Touring Contact CV95 P225/50R17 93V BW 1177M+S

ohh i see.. stupid tire shops.. want to make more $$$, so they convince customers that they can only installed V-rated tires to warranty it!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
It's not that they want to make more money...it's for liability reasons. If a car comes into Sam's Club for tires (where I work) we have to put the same speed rating on or higher. If we were to put a lower speed rating on and they were to have problems and get in an accident we would be liable. Most reputable tire shops follow the same rules. It really sucks for Toyota Camry owners. Toyota decided to put V rated tires on them, so we can only install V or higher. Now yes, I know your Toyota Camry won't go over 110mph, but that's besides the point. It will majorly change handling characteristics going to a T rated tire.

Now if you brought your 2007 G6 into my shop, I would interchange with T rated if you want because I know hat G6 came with both. Just as much if you brought in your car with 225/50/17 I wouldn't blink an eye at installing 215/55/17 because I know It was also a size used interchangeably with no rhyme or reason.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's not that they want to make more money...it's for liability reasons. If a car comes into Sam's Club for tires (where I work) we have to put the same speed rating on or higher. If we were to put a lower speed rating on and they were to have problems and get in an accident we would be liable. Most reputable tire shops follow the same rules. It really sucks for Toyota Camry owners. Toyota decided to put V rated tires on them, so we can only install V or higher. Now yes, I know your Toyota Camry won't go over 110mph, but that's besides the point. It will majorly change handling characteristics going to a T rated tire.

Now if you brought your 2007 G6 into my shop, I would interchange with T rated if you want because I know hat G6 came with both. Just as much if you brought in your car with 225/50/17 I wouldn't blink an eye at installing 215/55/17 because I know It was also a size used interchangeably with no rhyme or reason.
I understand what your saying, however, I'm not telling Costco to put on a lower rated tire than "S". If the g6 has 2 different speed ratings, than both should be shown on their computers. They should even follow the sticker on our car, cuz that is factory recommendation. Now having said that, I was looking at "T" rated tires. They still didn't want to put those on cuz of the same reason (liability). They said they would put those on, but if anything went wrong it wouldn't be called covered in warranty. Oh well... Guess I gotta put "V" rated tires on now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree with you. The only thing I can think of is their book is not 100% correct. If they are not a "car person" they wouldn't have the knowledge you and I have about interchangeability. What does your door say? If it came with V rated tires it should say V rated on door sill plate.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Is says "S" rated on door sill plate. I still have the factory tires on, and those are 93S as well...

All/most tire shops when they look it up, it states V-Rated. I might as well just have V-rated ones on now, cuz getting T rated at other shops are about the same price if not more expensive then getting V-rated at Costco. Went to the dealership as well.. they looked up Defender XT T-rated, the price was $245+tax,balancing and installation. The same tire at Costco was T-rated, $195.99 including tax,balancing and installation. But we all know the dealership rips you off.

I contacted the regional manager as well... and he left a message saying if you have 17" then your V-rated, if you have 16's then your S-rated. Quite dumb!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts