Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay at the risk of sounding stupid, I ask this question.
I recently heard that tires actually have an expiration date?
That after X-amount of years even if the tread is good, the rubber is bad?
Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks.

·
Registered
555 Posts
never heard of such a thing. BUT after a long time im sure the tire would wear out quickly.

·
Varsity Squad
751 Posts
Tires can dryout before the treads wear out. They begin to seperate or crack in between the treads or on the sidewall. This usully beings to happen around five years but can happen quicker to cheaper tires. They are made of steel belts with rubber glued to them and under go extreme temperture changes so after time they become more and more pron to giving out. Be sure to check your tires psi, wear and for deep cracking (if you can fit a ball point pen in you should replace). Tires have a born on date; the last four digits of the DOT number are the week and yeaer a tire was built. XXX XXXX XXX 0306 would be a tire built the third week of 2006. Hope this was some help.

·
2006 Black G6 GT
395 Posts
Tires can dryout before the treads wear out. They begin to seperate or crack in between the treads or on the sidewall. This usully beings to happen around five years but can happen quicker to cheaper tires. They are made of steel belts with rubber glued to them and under go extreme temperture changes so after time they become more and more pron to giving out. Be sure to check your tires psi, wear and for deep cracking (if you can fit a ball point pen in you should replace). Tires have a born on date; the last four digits of the DOT number are the week and yeaer a tire was built. XXX XXXX XXX 0306 would be a tire built the third week of 2006. Hope this was some help.
Cals is definitely right. And the scary thing is that a tire store can sell you an expired tire and you may never know and it puts you at risk.

Also remember about 8 years ago when someone died from brand new expired tires. There was a big thing for weeks on the news about it.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
Okay at the risk of sounding stupid, I ask this question.
I recently heard that tires actually have an expiration date?
That after X-amount of years even if the tread is good, the rubber is bad?
Can anyone clarify this for me please?

Thanks.
There are no stupid questions only stupid answers. The post above are correct heres a link;
http://www-dev.atg.wa.gov/BlogPost.aspx?id=19916

Oh, Welcome to the site.

·
Registered
555 Posts
im checking exp dates from now on before i drop 500 bucks of my hard earned money on tires. i had no idea tires had expiration dates. Maybe my conti's i got with my g6 were expired because i've had my car 6 months now and there is less than 50% tread left:mad:. Phuk dealerships they screw you over on everything except warranty replacements. Tire exp dates: one more thing to check before buying a car (other than looking at the tire and saying good enough)

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
im checking exp dates from now on before i drop 500 bucks of my hard earned money on tires. i had no idea tires had expiration dates. Maybe my conti's i got with my g6 were expired because i've had my car 6 months now and there is less than 50% tread left:mad:. Phuk dealerships they screw you over on everything except warranty replacements. Tire exp dates: one more thing to check before buying a car (other than looking at the tire and saying good enough)
No, the conti's are just garbage to begin with. That's why you have only 50% left.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here's an informative link to tire life, manufacturing and tire dealer sales. There are no guidelines issues by the NHTSA on how to regulate tires. The manufacture date is generally stamped on the inside of the tire, so people (like you and I) ignore it instead of taking the time to check how old the tires are. New cars are generally built with tires less than one year old. Europe has age limit laws, where us poor North Americans, do not.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

·
CrAzY Moderator
963 Posts
good stuff!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's an informative link to tire life, manufacturing and tire dealer sales. There are no guidelines issues by the NHTSA on how to regulate tires. The manufacture date is generally stamped on the inside of the tire, so people (like you and I) ignore it instead of taking the time to check how old the tires are. New cars are generally built with tires less than one year old. Europe has age limit laws, where us poor North Americans, do not.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897
yup.. now I know

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.