Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if sipping the conti's on my g6 would improve its winter handling capabilities. im kinda strapped for cash for the next several months so i ws wondering if i could get away with tire cables and sipped conti's for this winter? If i have to, i'll buy some snows on credit. Also, what tire sizes for snows will fit on the 17" wheel besides 225/50/17?

· Premium Member
643 Posts
I don't think siping will help even the pitiful conti's.

Your best bet is to get snow tires or at least decent all weather tires, but snow tires are cheaper than all weather and has better traction.

It's spelled "tire siping" btw. I had to look it up myself.

· Lifetime Member
3,805 Posts
I was wondering if sipping the conti's on my g6 would improve its winter handling capabilities. im kinda strapped for cash for the next several months so i ws wondering if i could get away with tire cables and sipped conti's for this winter? If i have to, i'll buy some snows on credit. Also, what tire sizes for snows will fit on the 17" wheel besides 225/50/17?
What is this "sipping" anyway? Does your tire need a drink?

· Premium Member
643 Posts
What is this "sipping" anyway? Does your tire need a drink?
:beer:

It involves cutting extra groves in the tread of the tires, thereby, theoretically giving you better traction. However I don't like hearing "cutting" and "tires in the same sentence. I'd rather have better tires before I start cutting stuff up.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alright thanks guys.

· Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah these tires suck. especially when it rains. i'll just fork over the plastic for some snows.

· Registered
470 Posts
Most passenger car tires aren't 'groove-able', so you can't cut into them without affecting top road speed, load rating and overall safety from possible tread separation. Continental tires are good on the track, but as an everyday all-season tire, they're useless in the winter months - I drive the SUV.

· Registered
9 Posts
I'm sure this is too late, but an improvement in tire size for snow on the same rims would be 215/55. It is a bit narrower and the 55 makes them nearly identical in height to the stock 225/50s so your speedometer difference will be entirely negligible. I imagine 215/60s would fit without issue, but this would change a lot more characteristics since the car would be higher off the ground.

You could probably put some 205s of some sort on 'em too, but then you have to worry more about damaging your rims if you rub them against stuff or worse, slide into something.

· Premium Member
643 Posts
Yeah if money wasn't an issue I would have a dedicated set of rims and tires. But just had Goodyear's put on and they got me through the 3" of slush on the roads today.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.