Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at a set of real nice snow tires and the size is 225/60/17 and i have the stock GT wheels 17x7". How much of a speed difference will it be? At the most 5mph in either direction????

·
Pushing Overload
88 Posts
I went from the stocks up to 235's Eagle GT's from the 225 continentals. I thought there would be a difference but not even a slight one. Tested this by my GPS. It was dead balls on before and still is after the upgrade.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tire width has nothing to do with speed differences. Im talking about the radius...you know the second number in the tire size. Stock tires are 225/50/17. The tires i want are 225/60/17

·
Registered
638 Posts
Tire width has nothing to do with speed differences. Im talking about the radius...you know the second number in the tire size. Stock tires are 225/50/17. The tires i want are 225/60/17
actually it goes as follows:
the first number (225) is the width in mm which works out to be about 8.9"
the second number (50) is the aspect ratio of the height to the width meanin the height of the tire is 50% of the width
the third number (17) is the diameter of the wheel.

so for a 225/50R17 the tire would be bout 4.4" tall and for the 60's would be bout 5.3" tall. i think Discount tire online has a calculator for compareing 2 tire sizes, ill look and see if i can find it again.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Cool! Didnt even know a tire calculator existed. thanks

How would you calibrate the speedo with the tires? Is it pretty difficult or easy cheesy (as in taking it to the shop and is it worth the money)?

·
Pushing Overload
88 Posts
Yep, of course wider will make a difference. Makes it off by approx. 1 mph so not much but it does indeed make a difference so said the calculator before I bought the Eagles. I just don't see it. When I tested things the other night I guess it could have been off 1 mph. Took it up to 135 I thought on the speedometer but the gps says I was just going 134.

·
Registered
499 Posts
225/60-17 are way too tall. You may have rubbing issues due to lack of clearance. Anytime you alter the overall diameter by more than 3%, your vehicle's balance, performance, and handling will be noticeably affected. The factory recommended size is the best.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm that sucks. Someone is selling bran new studded snows tires (225/60/17) for $300, set of four. Id rather pass on the deal than have decrease in performance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.