Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got new tires and brakes put on my 2007 G6 base a few days ago and now I'm worried I got the wrong tires. I trusted my dad to get my car taken care of and I wasn't there to handle the transaction. They put on Kenda Kenetica 225/50R17's which I've never heard of before and so far they are ok but my gas milage is going down. Is this tire compatable for a pontiac G6? And I'm unable to find out any specs on them either. Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think I read somewhere that they are made by Cooper?? Whoever makes them....I can imagine it being a lesser-brand tire, which usually = not good tires. Good quality and bad quality tires can be life or death to your car's performance. I bought my 2009 G6 with Michelin Defender tires on it....I bought the car 2-years-used. The tires wore poorly even though I had the alignment checked twice....and I drove pretty respectfully. I got a new set of 4 Falken Azenis PT722's, which a friend recommended, and they wear perfectly....and the car is quieter....and handling litterally came alive times 2! Your tire size seems to be correct, just be sure the tires are mounted in the right direction if they are directional tires, and check your air pressure. I can't imagine anything else that could make the mileage slump?

Edit - oh....here is their web site - http://www.kendausa.com/

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
The fact that the tire is on the car makes it compatible.

Also I wouldn't call Kenda a "lesser-brand tire," they make some of the best mountain bike tires on the market. While I haven't used them for automotive applications I have used their bike tires and they are just as good as anything else out there.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
That's where I knew Kenda from! Bike tires!
They are technically made by Cooper Tires according to various sites.
To me they seem like the generic priced tire cooper sells to fill out the market. As for specs I'm not sure of any specifics.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They are definitely not a top tier brand. Just because they are "made" by Cooper does not make them Cooper tires. Just as much as a Chevy Cruz isn't a Cadillac ATS. They utilize very different tire technologies, and the coopers will get the best features available. Michelins get the best/newest technologies, while BFGoodrich gets 2nd best, and Uniroyal gets 3rd best.

I find it very interesting that 09usnyg6i4 found a Falkien tire to perform better then the Michelin Defender. Granted, you are comparing Michelin's entry level (term used loosely as its the best on the road) touring tire to Falkien's ultra high performance tire.

·
Registered
452 Posts
On my old car I replaced my Michelin Pilots with the much cheaper Falken Ziex. The Falkens were noticeably better than the Michelins. I was very impressed and surprised.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Any tire is better than the OEM Continentals! I have a set of General UHP tires. For the price to performance ratio they perform as advertised, and I would consider buying them again.

As mentioned, air pressure is key to mileage, braking, and handling performance. Some tires recommend inflation pressure in the 40psi range. GM OEM pressure is 32 I believe for the tires that came on my G6. The OEM Conti's were OK, but came alive when at 38psi (rated at 44). However, they became hard and sloppy as the tread started to wear off when driving on any roads that were not completely dry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts