Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Gack!! These crappy factory tires are Continentals.

I wouldn't put another set of Continentals on any vehicle I own.

Check out Yokohama - the Avid V4S all-season has a good winter rating, plus good traction and treadwear ratings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
otcpharm said:
Gack!! These crappy factory tires are Continentals.

I wouldn't put another set of Continentals on any vehicle I own.

Check out Yokohama - the Avid V4S all-season has a good winter rating, plus good traction and treadwear ratings.
I got some crappy factory tires from tiger paw!! I heard it only last about 30,000 miles and then it goes bad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Redsun_ty said:
I got some crappy factory tires from tiger paw!! I heard it only last about 30,000 miles and then it goes bad.
Ah, the Uniroyal TigerPaw....having purchased a new Chevy truck back when those were OEM, I must second the motion.

Chevrolet moved silently away from them. I wonder why? :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
otcpharm said:
Gack!! These crappy factory tires are Continentals.

I wouldn't put another set of Continentals on any vehicle I own.

Check out Yokohama - the Avid V4S all-season has a good winter rating, plus good traction and treadwear ratings.
Don't do it man, the Yok's are horrid in the snow!!! I had the AVS dB's on my 01 Bonne and they sucked in the winter!!! I even had them siped too!!! A co-worker bought the AVID V4's for his 03 GA GT last year due to Tireracks review, he would get stuck in two inces of slush. The Uniroyal's that came with my G6 sucked and I was going to put on BFG's new V RATED Traction T/A tires. Then I came across a bunch of really good Google reviews on the Conti's from BMW, Benz, Audi, and SAAB drivers. I've owed Toyo's, Yok's, Michelin's, and now Conti's, and believe it or not the ContiExtremeContacts are the best so far. So, my vote is for the ContiExtremeContacts, or you might consider the Bridgestone G009 which were my second choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Explr1 said:
Don't do it man, the Yok's are horrid in the snow!!! I had the AVS dB's on my 01 Bonne and they sucked in the winter!!! I even had them siped too!!! A co-worker bought the AVID V4's for his 03 GA GT last year due to Tireracks review, he would get stuck in two inces of slush. The Uniroyal's that came with my G6 sucked and I was going to put on BFG's new V RATED Traction T/A tires. Then I came across a bunch of really good Google reviews on the Conti's from BMW, Benz, Audi, and SAAB drivers. I've owed Toyo's, Yok's, Michelin's, and now Conti's, and believe it or not the ContiExtremeContacts are the best so far. So, my vote is for the ContiExtremeContacts, or you might consider the Bridgestone G009 which were my second choice.
How much were your tires? Just wanted to know ;) You know this one is good? DUNLOP Graspic DS2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Explr1 said:
Don't do it man, the Yok's are horrid in the snow!!! I had the AVS dB's on my 01 Bonne and they sucked in the winter!!! I even had them siped too!!! A co-worker bought the AVID V4's for his 03 GA GT last year due to Tireracks review, he would get stuck in two inces of slush. Then I came across a bunch of really good Google reviews on the Conti's from BMW, Benz, Audi, and SAAB drivers. I've owed Toyo's, Yok's, Michelin's, and now Conti's, and believe it or not the ContiExtremeContacts are the best so far.
And oddly enough, my experience has been exactly the opposite. Every set of Conti tires the dealer has put on has sucked beyond belief. Won't balance, crappy treadwear (20k miles? WTF?), cupping, flat spotting, vibrating on the highway - you name it.

My Avid V4Ss have been exceptional. They even let me get up in my driveway in the snow, where the Contis made me get out and walk up, shovel, salt, THEN drive up. And they're smooth as glass on the highway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
:confused: Maybe you just had bad sets of Conti's. The ContiExtremeContacts are their best model. The set I bought were straight from Germany, I insisted on it. I know the touring tires from U.S. factories have piss poor quality. The Dunlop Graspic's are strictly snows. I had the DS1's back in 99/00 on a '94 Beretta. They have a very soft thread, but there great in winter. Due to the thread compound, if you use them after winter there only going to last about a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Explr1 said:
:confused: Maybe you just had bad sets of Conti's. The ContiExtremeContacts are their best model. The set I bought were straight from Germany, I insisted on it. I know the touring tires from U.S. factories have piss poor quality. The Dunlop Graspic's are strictly snows. I had the DS1's back in 99/00 on a '94 Beretta. They have a very soft thread, but there great in winter. Due to the thread compound, if you use them after winter there only going to last about a year.
Yeah, they were multiple sets of the crap-that-looks-like-tires that comes installed from the factory. It's more than well documented that the Contis we get OEM are junk - GM even has a TSB for them.

I finally gave up and went back to the Yokos. Have had very good luck with the H4S previously so I gave the V4S a shot. They've been WAY better than the OEMs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Explr1 said:
:confused: Maybe you just had bad sets of Conti's. The ContiExtremeContacts are their best model. The set I bought were straight from Germany, I insisted on it. I know the touring tires from U.S. factories have piss poor quality. The Dunlop Graspic's are strictly snows. I had the DS1's back in 99/00 on a '94 Beretta. They have a very soft thread, but there great in winter. Due to the thread compound, if you use them after winter there only going to last about a year.
what? the treadwear is that bad? what u recommend? I don't need the most expensive ones I just need to get through the winter. I drove the highway mostly so I needs good traction winter tires!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top