Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 2008 base sedan in mid 2012, took it to get serviced for that transmission recall yesterday & they mentioned I needed new tires soon. I was already considering getting rims for it eventually I figured I might as well kill two birds with one stone. Unfortunately I'm new to this whole owning a car thing & could use some help findin out what size I could get without altering control or anything crazy. Any input would be appreciated!

·
Legend
782 Posts
You can get anything from 15's to 20's. It depends on the ride quality vs look you want. Smaller rims = better ride quality as far as driving down the road and it feeling more smooth and less bumpy but small rims are a waste of money in my opinion. Larger rims you get the look at the sacrifice of ride quality. For example I'm running 20" rims while lowered. The ride has suffered accordingly but its not by any means unbearable. And I have the look I want. The norm for people to go are usually 18's and then a few people run 17's or 20's. It's really all about what type of look your going for.

But the important things are the bolt pattern of your rim is 5x110 and in my opinion I wouldn't really go wider than an 8.5 on the rim size. I'm running 20x8.5 on 225x35x20 tires while lowered. I have no rubbing issues or anything. Just some negative camber in the back which can be fixed by a couple shims.

But check out www.streetdreams.org and take a look at what they have to offer. Just put in your car year make and model and then it will show you all the rims they have that will fit your car. And they're the cheapest your gonna find unless you shop eBay or craigslist and sometimes is still cheaper than them. And you can get it in a rim and tire package which is what I got. The rims come to your doorstep tires mounted balanced and aired up ready to go. Plus all key lugnuts with the speacial socket all included. Plus free shipping. I paid $1300 for all 4 rims and tires shipped to my front door. All I had to do was jack the car up swap the wheels and hit the road. And an alignment is a good idea after that.

Hope some of that helps.

:beer:

Sent from my Desire HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll definitely check that out, just realized I posted this in the wrong forum too lol ooops, I was looking at 19s on tirerack.com but they didn't have too many options and 20 wasn't even available on there so we'll see, how bad do they affect gas mileage?

·
Legend
782 Posts
It's ok. It comes up on the active topics feed. So everyone is going to see it anyways. And I don't think its affected my gas mileage really at all. At least not enough for me to notice or care. And as far as 19's they're fine but with odd size rims like that it can cause it to be difficult to find tires at a shop and they're usually more expensive bc they're less common.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, my dad was giving me shit (I'm 23 and don't even live at home) about gas blahblahblah looks like it's time to start saving up! Where's the best place to post about my car 'jumping' a little every now and then when I accelerate?

·
Legend
782 Posts
Lol I know about that. Hear it from my mom. Also 23 and live in my own place. But in the problem and solutions area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was looking on tirerack.com and 20" isn't an option for my 08 base sedan but I've seen others with them... :confused:

·
Legend
782 Posts
I'm telling you go to www.streetdreams.org you'll be 100 times happier with the selection.

·
Legend
782 Posts
Those rims look pretty sick. I have the forte f55 banshees 20". I really like the rims. The only complaint I have is that eventually the clear coat came off the center caps. Idk if it was from using a cleaner I shouldn't have or something or I just had defective ones. But besides that nothing bad to say about them.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Clear coat doesn't stick very well to anything that isn't paint. The probably the issue. Could also be from being plastic

·
Legend
782 Posts
Sweet! And if I get 225/35D20 there won't be any rubbing issues?
Same thing I got. Never any problems. And I'm also lowered on canucks. About 1.75-2" drop all the way around and still no issues. Only thing I'm gonna change is the tires to 245/35/20 so that the rim and tire sit flush. But no problems at all with my 225/35/20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts