Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Living in Montreal, Canada, i bought a G6 2008- 3.5 L on January 19 .The car had snow tires on GM rims (225-50-17) with the hub caps (mags imitation). So having to buy summer tires , i decide to buy mags and summer tires and keep the second set of wheel for the winter. Went on classified on the web and found 4 Pontiac aluminium mags in mint condition with tire pressure sensors.The seller was selling the 4 mags with tires (Khumo Solus HD52
215-55-17) for 400$. So the deal being good , i bought them.
The tires are touring type and in good shape and have a wear of 8/32 inchs (new tire tread depht is 11/32 inchs). At first, i was reluctant installing the wrong tire size on the car and want to sell them and purchase Hankook Evo Ventus 12 (225-50-17 -the correct size). But after talking with couple of friends, i decided the try these tire. The height being taller , at 65 MPH on the speedometer , my real speed will be 66.14 MPH . Not much difference.
Also these tires are not new. So the 3/32 inchs of wear would probably bring me the actual speed at 65.5 MPH versus 65 MPH on the speedometer. So no big deal. The only thing is that i will lose 10 mm on the width ( 1 cm) Little less patch contact. Will install the set next week and will see about the road feeling and handling. If it's not satisfy me, i will open my wallet again and go for brand news.

Question?

Is any G6's readers had installed other tire sizes than 225-50-17 on G6 sedan 07, 08and 09?

Also , any comments or advises are welcome, especialy if you feel that i'am wrong in my reasonment. As they say, nobody is perfect and cant know it all!

Best regards G6 owners

·
Registered
88 Posts
i have 225/50/18 on mine, iv heard of people going 245/45 tires in the back for the better stance, dont know if they'll rub or not in the front though.

·
Registered
638 Posts
no problems running 245/45/18s here same overall diameter as the stock 18" tires......

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tire size reply

Thx guys,

Can see that there's no problems to do minor tire size changes and since am not going down height.

Regards

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tire size swap

215/55-17 is the base stock tire size for MY 2009+ so don't worry about it. You will have no issue with it.
Well, the seller told me thatthese mags and tires came from a G6 2009. I my mine, i was septical 'bout this size and saying to him that G6 with 17 rims come with 225-50-17. I was wrong

Thx a lot for the tip

1 - 7 of 7 Posts