Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an 08 g6 sedan with the stock 17in alloys. Right now there are 225/50/17 on it.
i found a set of brand new tires for $150 (buying from brother-in-law), but they are 225/45/17.

I know they will work on the car, so my question is, am i going to be able to tell much of a difference in road noise, whether or not its a rougher ride, ect?

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
i have an 08 g6 sedan with the stock 17in alloys. Right now there are 225/50/17 on it.
i found a set of brand new tires for $150 (buying from brother-in-law), but they are 225/45/17.

I know they will work on the car, so my question is, am i going to be able to tell much of a difference in road noise, whether or not its a rougher ride, ect?
i dont see why there would be any road noise, besides regular hum of a tire. i really dont think there is goin to be that much of difference in ride quality either with it only bein 5mm difference...

the only thing you might notice difference is the gap between your sidewall of the tire and fender is goin to be more open then it already was

·
Registered
911 Posts
i dont see why there would be any road noise, besides regular hum of a tire. i really dont think there is goin to be that much of difference in ride quality either with it only bein 5mm difference...

the only thing you might notice difference is the gap between your sidewall of the tire and fender is goin to be more open then it already was
actually, correct me if im wrong, but i think it'll be a 11.25mm difference as the 50 or 45 represents the height of the sidewall as a percentage of the tread width. ex. 225 x.45 = 101.25 and 225 x .50 = 112.50. so depending on which you go with, you'll see more sidewall inbetween the tread and rim. not sure on what the exact measurement difference will be between tire and fender with the change.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I know the side wall would be different, I just wasn't 100% on if that difference would pose any effect on the performance of the car.

I'm in a binde because I have to take an 8hr trip to Wisconsin but my tires are crap, and I have to replace the brakes and rotors. (and no I'm not hard on cars I bought the car in June and just haven't had the money to replace it yet) so if I buy these I can replace everything at once instead of paying 500+ for just tires.

Jocelyn

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
Thanks guys, I know the side wall would be different, I just wasn't 100% on if that difference would pose any effect on the performance of the car.

I'm in a binde because I have to take an 8hr trip to Wisconsin but my tires are crap, and I have to replace the brakes and rotors. (and no I'm not hard on cars I bought the car in June and just haven't had the money to replace it yet) so if I buy these I can replace everything at once instead of paying 500+ for just tires.

Jocelyn
its a good deal, id take them!

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
i understand what your saying but im just talkin about the numbers 45/50. 5 being the difference, i dont think it would affect ride quality that much or any at all
The difference between 50 and 45 may be 5, but thats 5%, not 5mm.

you probably wont notice much of a difference in ride quality or noise, however, because of the reduced diameter of the tires, your engine is going to be working harder to and spinning faster to keep you at speed as opposed to the 225/50r17 tires. It ultimately adds up to a lose of fuel economy, performance and extra wear on your drivetrain.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i agree...won't change much of the ride. your speedo will be off though since the tires going to be about an inch less in diameter
I kinda figured that, and was guessing on less mpg.
About how much of a difference will this make? Just enough to be noticable? Or it will be doing more harm then good?

I'm still looking to buy stock size but they will have to wait till after the trip.

Jocelyn

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So after doing some research I found a thread on g6p about the same question and found this

" i would advise against the 225/45 because now you are makeing more revolutions per mile so when you might only drive 1 actual mile your car will think you went like mabey 1.1 mile for example, you will rack up the miles a lot quicker for the same distance with the smaller tires..................not really a good thing..... "

Now to me that doesn't sound right, but I could be wrong. Can anyone back this statement or refute it?

Jocelyn

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, after reading all ur comments and doing a little research I've decided not to get them as it seems it will do more harm than good. With that being said I've come down to these two tires:
Yokohama Avid Envigor
&
Goodyear Eagle GT ( we've had these on our grand prix and liked them but read a lot of bad reviews)

Opinions on these?

Jocelyn

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not too concerned about road noise. I have a squawking 8 month old that'll cover that up lol

I have the hankook optimos on it now and I'm thinking anything could be better than these :(
Jocelyn

·
beeeeeeefy
883 Posts
Well, after reading all ur comments and doing a little research I've decided not to get them as it seems it will do more harm than good. With that being said I've come down to these two tires:
Yokohama Avid Envigor
&
Goodyear Eagle GT ( we've had these on our grand prix and liked them but read a lot of bad reviews)

Opinions on these?

Jocelyn
i tell everyone to get the eagle gt's.. bought my car with them and im rollin up on 34K and still ton of tred left, they get really nice traction in the winter/rain and do well on dry obviously... i will be buying them when i need to replace the tires.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've read some complaints about them lowering your gas mileage because its such an aggressive tire ... Any truth to that on our cars?

Jocelyn

·
Registered
42 Posts

Hi,

From a tire calculator (see Discount Tire.com), with the 225/45/17, your speedometer indicating 65 MPH , your real speed would be 62.77 MPH and this with brand new tires. We should see that with tire wear, year after year, the gap will be larger. Mean that after 3 years, at 65 MPH indicated on your speedometer, you actual real speed should be less . Mayby 61.5 MPH.
So as stated by other members on this thread, engine wear and reduced gaz milleage will occur.

Regards

1 - 20 of 20 Posts