Pontiac G6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the Toronto area and now that the rain/ice/snow weather is here I have a couple of questions with regards to the tires on G6 GT sedan with 17" continental tires. Whenever i am starting up from a stop on wet roads i sense the tires spinning and the traction control comes on. I haven't had this happen with other cars. Is this normal. Are the tires that bad and should I get winter tires. I only have 12000 kms on it

·
Registered
169 Posts
I noticed the same thing with the Continental tires. Worst wet/snow traction I've ever seen - almost as bad as my truck.

Replaced them and I'm amazed at how well it gets away from the stop signs on wet pavement now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I also live in Toronto and drive a G6 V6 -

I've already been through the winter months with my G6 and I never changed the tires, never really had a problem with the stock tires

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is possible that the G6 V6 has different tires. But if this is happening to me on wet roads I can't imagine what it will be ice or snow.

Another weird thing that happened a few minutes I put the car in reverse from parked location, as it was reversing it moved a foot or so, the engine died, lost power to the brakes and steering and kept moving another foot or so as it was on a slope. Fortunately there was nobody behind. Anybody seen happen

·
Registered
169 Posts
rakeshs_ca said:
It is possible that the G6 V6 has different tires. But if this is happening to me on wet roads I can't imagine what it will be ice or snow.
The V6 does indeed have different tires than the GT.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hambone said:
What tires did you put on?
Yokohama Avid V4S. Based on what I've seen in the first few thousand miles, I'll be switching all my vehicles to these if they are available in the right sizes.

In addition to the better wet traction I've gotten, the ride is much smoother and I no longer have the annoying shaking from flat-spotted tires nor the pulling to one side that I now attribute to the old tires.

Hate to say it, but I'm almost looking forward to getting some snow to try them out on it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thought the GT came with 17inch rims instead of 16s and different tires??

My tires are horrible on anything but dry pavement. Not looking forward to the snow and ice again this year... getting stuck last year was more than enough. :(

·
Registered
61 Posts
My V6 came with Uniroyal Tigerpaws. I thought those went out in the 70's... It would be cool if they still had the red stripe on them...

·
Registered
423 Posts
PCB said:
My V6 came with Uniroyal Tigerpaws. I thought those went out in the 70's... It would be cool if they still had the red stripe on them...
funny you should mention the 'red stripe' as i was thinking the same thing. my stealth gray sedan, chrome wheels and 'red stripe' tires would look really good together......i wonder if Pontiac has thought of that? after all, they DID bring back the GTO.....well, sort of.

as for the yokohamas, i had them on my accord and they are great, all year long. even in the SNOW!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Redsun_ty said:
my G6 came with tiger paws as well!! don't know how they will perform in my first winter with my new G6! :D
You will probably get stuck in the first snowfall.. just checked..same tires here that gave me hell all last winter. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just FYI, I'm sure most are aware, but with a FWD car with 200+ ft/lbs of TQ available as low as it is in V6 models (3.5 and 3.9), you're going to spin any tire.

·
Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
Just FYI, I'm sure most are aware, but with a FWD car with 200+ ft/lbs of TQ available as low as it is in V6 models (3.5 and 3.9), you're going to spin any tire.
While that is true, we're specifically talking about wet traction here. A car with 100lbs of TQ will spin tires on wet streets.

Some tires are simply provide more traction, or are more resistant to spinning, on wet pavement than others. The Continentals are some of the worst.

·
Registered
532 Posts
My car doesnt build much low end power .. not sure why you would think that?? Direcctly off the line these cars are not slamming down 200+ft lbs of trq or they might actually pull of the line somewhat decent. Aside from that 220ft lbs would be WOT numbers..I am sure we are only talking 50ft lbs or so under light acceleration during everyday travels.. In which case.. crappy tires = spinning. :( If we had the extra grunt the GTP has I wouldnt be so inclined to blame the tires.

Of course I had several sets of Potenzas that could handle WOT with over 300rwhp and 350ft lbs of trq in the wettest conditions you could think of... so maybe I would :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
otcpharm said:
Some tires are simply provide more traction, or are more resistant to spinning, on wet pavement than others. The Continentals are some of the worst.
I'm purely aware of that, I've just read several threads simply stating "my tires spin off the line and they must be crap" or the like, and while I agree both the LS2s and Continentals, and just about any other OEM tire sucks, that even the best will spin off the line in a FWD car with this power in the wet, period. How much they spin, and how quickly they eventually hookup will differentiate the good ones from the bad ones.

I also beg to differ in the amount of torque available down low. While this is not a discussion about this, but about tires, the 3.5 and 3.9 both put 85% - 90% of their peek torque down slightly above 1000 rpm. The car's weight can mask this feeling and subsequently cause even more tire spin in an effort to move the heavier vehicle.

And let's not bring WOT into this, because the difference in tq-power between partial tip-in to full tip-in is minimal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
S8ER99 said:
I will have to take your word for that.. ;)
All I'm saying is that the heavy G6 will be more difficult to move initially. And even at 1/2 throttle, your torque figure is still substantially high, high enough to break free if a friction inhibitor, like water, is present given the weight of the vehicle. How quickly the tire evacuates the water and bites to finally create movement would indicate how good of a tire it is, but it's still going to spin no matter how good it is, I guarantee it.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.