Pontiac G6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
I noticed the same thing with the Continental tires. Worst wet/snow traction I've ever seen - almost as bad as my truck.

Replaced them and I'm amazed at how well it gets away from the stop signs on wet pavement now.

· Registered
169 Posts
Hambone said:
What tires did you put on?
Yokohama Avid V4S. Based on what I've seen in the first few thousand miles, I'll be switching all my vehicles to these if they are available in the right sizes.

In addition to the better wet traction I've gotten, the ride is much smoother and I no longer have the annoying shaking from flat-spotted tires nor the pulling to one side that I now attribute to the old tires.

Hate to say it, but I'm almost looking forward to getting some snow to try them out on it.

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
Just FYI, I'm sure most are aware, but with a FWD car with 200+ ft/lbs of TQ available as low as it is in V6 models (3.5 and 3.9), you're going to spin any tire.
While that is true, we're specifically talking about wet traction here. A car with 100lbs of TQ will spin tires on wet streets.

Some tires are simply provide more traction, or are more resistant to spinning, on wet pavement than others. The Continentals are some of the worst.

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
I'm purely aware of that, I've just read several threads simply stating "my tires spin off the line and they must be crap" or the like, and while I agree both the LS2s and Continentals, and just about any other OEM tire sucks, that even the best will spin off the line in a FWD car with this power in the wet, period. How much they spin, and how quickly they eventually hookup will differentiate the good ones from the bad ones.
Well, the rest of us were apparently able to better discern the gist of the statements since we didn't feel the need to debate the semantics of missing clarifiers.

The answers were therefore geared toward providing a better traction solution for wet weather. Everything that was said was factually correct, all replies were likewise factually correct.

Why toss in a "yeah, but..." when it doesn't contribute anything except pointing out something that is blatantly obvious to everybody here?

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
Why? Because I got two PMs within 1 hour of each other ...
Ah....PM's.

I never carry over PM material into the board, so that's never a consideration when I post. Thanks for clearing it up.

It baffles the mind to think that ANYBODY would think they'd be able to dig up tires that WON'T spin on wet streets - regardless of what you drive.

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
I know alot of people that have been owners of "less-than-particularly-powerful" cars that may have moved up to their first "over 100 lbs/ft tq to-the-ground engine" and are surprised by the low-end tq.
Yes, so do I. And every one of them will still spin the tires on wet pavement.

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
Well, maybe it's some lingo from canada, but I was "in the business" and to some extent still am, and never heard bridgestones called 'bridges' and also never defined a level of tire as 'mid grade' - there's mid-grade gas, yes...So perhaps it would have been better to write it in layman's terms for people who "aren't in the business" as probably most who read this aren't.

Also, I guess you could say that the bolt pattern reduces the amount of selection of winter wheels you can find, and subsequently limits the tire sizes that appropriately fit on those wheels, which subsequently limits the tire selection for winter. But just saying "Your G6 GTP and others require a special type of winter tire because of the bolt pattern" makes no sense. A special type of tire? because of bolt pattern? what "type" of tire would that be? Mid-grade :D ? Again, makes no sense as originally posted.

Additionally, you posted that GM didn't design our wheels for winter use - Last time I checked, GM engineers were in DETROIT, and are quite familiar with winter, which is why each wheel is painted (except for the polished 18" GTP wheel) or chromed. Yes, it would be great to hop out and pick up an extra set of wheels and tires for winter, but not everyone is willing to do that, it may not be worth it to them, saving the stock wheels like that.

The problem with your first post, for the most part, was the lack of clarification - the supposed "in the business" speak. Next time take the time to speak in layman's terms with clarification.
I like your style.

I really like your tag line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.