Pontiac G6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Thought the GT came with 17inch rims instead of 16s and different tires??

My tires are horrible on anything but dry pavement. Not looking forward to the snow and ice again this year... getting stuck last year was more than enough. :(

· Registered
525 Posts
Redsun_ty said:
my G6 came with tiger paws as well!! don't know how they will perform in my first winter with my new G6! :D
You will probably get stuck in the first snowfall.. just checked..same tires here that gave me hell all last winter. :(

· Registered
525 Posts
My car doesnt build much low end power .. not sure why you would think that?? Direcctly off the line these cars are not slamming down 200+ft lbs of trq or they might actually pull of the line somewhat decent. Aside from that 220ft lbs would be WOT numbers..I am sure we are only talking 50ft lbs or so under light acceleration during everyday travels.. In which case.. crappy tires = spinning. :( If we had the extra grunt the GTP has I wouldnt be so inclined to blame the tires.

Of course I had several sets of Potenzas that could handle WOT with over 300rwhp and 350ft lbs of trq in the wettest conditions you could think of... so maybe I would :D

· Registered
525 Posts
haha..sorry wasn't disputing everything you said... I was just refering to the last part.. I dont have any hard data to show what the percentage difference is WOT vs partial throttle so I was merely saying I will have to take your word for it. :)

· Registered
525 Posts
miscreant said:
I don't have any hard core either, but general rule of thumb is 1/4 = 60%, 1/2 = 75%, 3/4 = 90%...Though every car is different to some extent. I've had a couple cars that were easily 99%+ at 3/4, with only transmission changes/adjustments occuring at WOT (quicker kickdown) etc. My 04 goat would run within .5 sec (I should say less than .5 sec) of my WOT quarter mile times with the gas pedal blocked to approx. 3/4 throttle (long story, it was a bet...kinda like a "one hand tied behind my back" thing...)
The 04 Goat also had a traditional Throttle linkage. :) I thought this throttle by wire crap was more precise.

· Registered
525 Posts
I have had several vehicles with good tires that would not spin on wet streets. Regardless of power...

It is a given that if you go nailing the throttle from a dead stop on wet pavement you get tire spin (even in 100hp honda/geos, etc) I guess I am thinking while moving faster than 10 or 15mph.

· Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for the info..

I am pretty sure the tires that came on my car are all season. All season certainly includes snow/ice. :) LOL

· Registered
525 Posts
No... you are not speaking clearly enough. We understand these are not 360 Triple A Z rated tires .. not a problem. Mid grade? Sure...

The tire itself will fit on any 16 inch rim provided its for a 16 inch tire ..regardless of bolt pattern.

· Registered
525 Posts
Hambone said:
My tires must be bad on my Grand Am. They are goodyear 14X32 and sometimes they will spin on a poorly prepped race track under full throttle, let alone the rain.
haha.. gee...wonder why. I am willing to bet you don't go cruising in the rain much ;)

· Registered
525 Posts
Yes but those curves are crank numbers from the engine. Another words in the real world once TM, throttle by wire, and the slushbox get done doing their job that dyno chart would look a little different. ;)

· Registered
525 Posts
SCGA1 said:
My car came with the 'W' rated Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's. If you put the power down hard, they will slip a liittle on a wet surface. The 3.9L has gobs of low end torque and I found it has a good amount near the top end also. I will leave these tires on for the winter. Hopefully, this Winter won't be so bad. :)
You don't have to worry about 'top end' power until you can bark 2nd~3rd gear in an automatic at 79mph. haha.. (obviously if anyone out there is making more than 400hp you know what I am talking)

· Registered
525 Posts
hehe.. yes.. very incredible feeling. I always described it as having the skin on your face start to pull back. :)

I know a fellow racer on this board (harbone I believe :) ) knows exactly what I mean and much more ;) When you get into a 500+ HP car (or dipping into sub 10 seconds) it gets even crazier. :)

· Registered
525 Posts
Wow..honestly you clutter the thread up with more posts about 'PM's than you actually did tire info. Way to contribute.

· Registered
525 Posts
G6Action said:
seems this tire was a MUCH BETTER buy than the Michelin for the money and was head over heals above what i have now. so my plan now is to keep the Continentals until next spring/summer and move up to the Yokohamas.
The Mid-Conts (ha ha) will be good enough to survive winter until you decide to upgrade so thats probably a good idea. I am sure by the time spring rolls around again the Yokos you looked at will have been replaced with something better at the same price level so its always worth the extra wait. :)

· Registered
525 Posts
I live on the mississippi *we have 2 bridges*.. I have known the term 'mid grade' bridge all my life. Still doesn't have anything to do with tires. :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.