Pontiac G6 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 110 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
haha..sorry wasn't disputing everything you said... I was just refering to the last part.. I dont have any hard data to show what the percentage difference is WOT vs partial throttle so I was merely saying I will have to take your word for it. :)

· Registered
132 Posts
S8ER99 said:
haha..sorry wasn't disputing everything you said... I was just refering to the last part.. I dont have any hard data to show what the percentage difference is WOT vs partial throttle so I was merely saying I will have to take your word for it. :)
I don't have any hard core either, but general rule of thumb is 1/4 = 60%, 1/2 = 75%, 3/4 = 90%...Though every car is different to some extent. I've had a couple cars that were easily 99%+ at 3/4, with only transmission changes/adjustments occuring at WOT (quicker kickdown) etc. My 04 goat would run within .5 sec (I should say less than .5 sec) of my WOT quarter mile times with the gas pedal blocked to approx. 3/4 throttle (long story, it was a bet...kinda like a "one hand tied behind my back" thing...)

· Registered
525 Posts
miscreant said:
I don't have any hard core either, but general rule of thumb is 1/4 = 60%, 1/2 = 75%, 3/4 = 90%...Though every car is different to some extent. I've had a couple cars that were easily 99%+ at 3/4, with only transmission changes/adjustments occuring at WOT (quicker kickdown) etc. My 04 goat would run within .5 sec (I should say less than .5 sec) of my WOT quarter mile times with the gas pedal blocked to approx. 3/4 throttle (long story, it was a bet...kinda like a "one hand tied behind my back" thing...)
The 04 Goat also had a traditional Throttle linkage. :) I thought this throttle by wire crap was more precise.

· Registered
132 Posts
S8ER99 said:
The 04 Goat also had a traditional Throttle linkage. :) I thought this throttle by wire crap was more precise.
[hijack]
Yes, DBW sucks. The 05 GTO has it, and it's plagued with slow response and failures (and parts availability problems from AU). DBW needed a little more work before they put it into performance cars...
[/hijack]

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
I'm purely aware of that, I've just read several threads simply stating "my tires spin off the line and they must be crap" or the like, and while I agree both the LS2s and Continentals, and just about any other OEM tire sucks, that even the best will spin off the line in a FWD car with this power in the wet, period. How much they spin, and how quickly they eventually hookup will differentiate the good ones from the bad ones.
Well, the rest of us were apparently able to better discern the gist of the statements since we didn't feel the need to debate the semantics of missing clarifiers.

The answers were therefore geared toward providing a better traction solution for wet weather. Everything that was said was factually correct, all replies were likewise factually correct.

Why toss in a "yeah, but..." when it doesn't contribute anything except pointing out something that is blatantly obvious to everybody here?

· Registered
132 Posts
otcpharm said:
Why toss in a "yeah, but..." when it doesn't contribute anything except pointing out something that is blatantly obvious to everybody here?
Why? Because I got two PMs within 1 hour of each other (one here and one at ls1gto.com) from people with the potenzas asking my advice as to whether they should replace their tires and if they were any good because they "spun off the line in wet weather".

So it's apparently NOT blatantly obvious to everyone...

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
Why? Because I got two PMs within 1 hour of each other ...
Ah....PM's.

I never carry over PM material into the board, so that's never a consideration when I post. Thanks for clearing it up.

It baffles the mind to think that ANYBODY would think they'd be able to dig up tires that WON'T spin on wet streets - regardless of what you drive.

· Registered
132 Posts
otcpharm said:
I never carry over PM material into the board, so that's never a consideration when I post. Thanks for clearing it up.
I get PMs on LS!GTO all the time from people who have 3-4 posts at most, but have been registered for 6 months. I guess they just PM people and never post. The questions typically are questions that might get flamed, so I can understand some of the motivation.

It baffles the mind to think that ANYBODY would think they'd be able to dig up tires that WON'T spin on wet streets - regardless of what you drive.
I know alot of people that have been owners of "less-than-particularly-powerful" cars that may have moved up to their first "over 100 lbs/ft tq to-the-ground engine" and are surprised by the low-end tq.

· Registered
525 Posts
I have had several vehicles with good tires that would not spin on wet streets. Regardless of power...

It is a given that if you go nailing the throttle from a dead stop on wet pavement you get tire spin (even in 100hp honda/geos, etc) I guess I am thinking while moving faster than 10 or 15mph.

· Registered
15 Posts
Hey guys

New to the forum....Hello to you all,

Just a heads up on tires.....GM did not design there 17" Chromies, 17" Aluminum Painted, 18" Aluminum and 18" Ultras wheels for winter use. Go hit up your local dealer and pick up some medium grade bridges for $1000 and save you wheels! If you are rolling around on 16"....either hubs on steel wheels or 5 spokes you should be fine in winter. Do not put you performance tires through a winter or you will be paying for it on the end.....lets not forget about stone chips an scratches from sand and salt save those rims! I hope this helps.

P.S. Your G6 GTP and others require a special type of winter tire because of the bolt pattern so here in London you can only purchase them at your local dealership.....might be different on Toronto.....

Smiles

· Registered
525 Posts
Thanks for the info..

I am pretty sure the tires that came on my car are all season. All season certainly includes snow/ice. :) LOL

· Registered
132 Posts
Smiles said:
New to the forum....Hello to you all,

Just a heads up on tires.....GM did not design there 17" Chromies, 17" Aluminum Painted, 18" Aluminum and 18" Ultras wheels for winter use. Go hit up your local dealer and pick up some medium grade bridges for $1000 and save you wheels! If you are rolling around on 16"....either hubs on steel wheels or 5 spokes you should be fine in winter. Do not put you performance tires through a winter or you will be paying for it on the end.....lets not forget about stone chips an scratches from sand and salt save those rims! I hope this helps.

P.S. Your G6 GTP and others require a special type of winter tire because of the bolt pattern so here in London you can only purchase them at your local dealership.....might be different on Toronto.....

Smiles
:confused: I think I made out about half the above.

Also, the bolt pattern has NOTHING to do with what tires will fit on the car, and there's no special winter tire because of the bolt pattern.

Additionally, any of the wheels will hold up well in the winter as long as you keep them clean.

And what are medium grade bridges, and how do they save my wheels? lol. :rolleyes:

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
I know alot of people that have been owners of "less-than-particularly-powerful" cars that may have moved up to their first "over 100 lbs/ft tq to-the-ground engine" and are surprised by the low-end tq.
Yes, so do I. And every one of them will still spin the tires on wet pavement.

· Registered
15 Posts
Bridgestone tires.....bridges.....not a hard one to understand....well thats what we call them in the business.....and most ppl know about medium grade tires so ppl should understand that too......and yes they say all season unless its a G6 summer performance tire.....and yes they say MS on the side of the tire meaning mud and snow, but save your rims guys put on some winter wheels with a steel rim. MAN what an unwarm welcome!! In Canada you can only get winter wheels from certain places for a G6 and thats why I was talking about the bolt pattern so it DOES effect what tire you buy because there is not a lot to chose from and there are only certain places you can buy them!! And its still not a good idea to ride on chrome wheels all winter.....try to preserve the value of your car!! Dirt and Snow will beat them up esspecially if you do highway driving!! Do I need to get some pictures of damaged rims to prove it? Cause I will..........oh and miscreant did you want to write it in french? would that make it easier for you cause I can.....or I can bold the text or something.......

Have a good weekend guys,

Smiles

· Registered
132 Posts
Smiles said:
Bridgestone tires.....bridges.....not a hard one to understand....well thats what we call them in the business.....and most ppl know about medium grade tires so ppl should understand that too......and yes they say all season unless its a G6 summer performance tire.....and yes they say MS on the side of the tire meaning mud and snow, but save your rims guys put on some winter wheels with a steel rim. MAN what an unwarm welcome!! In Canada you can only get winter wheels from certain places for a G6 and thats why I was talking about the bolt pattern so it DOES effect what tire you buy because there is not a lot to chose from and there are only certain places you can buy them!! And its still not a good idea to ride on chrome wheels all winter.....try to preserve the value of your car!! Dirt and Snow will beat them up esspecially if you do highway driving!! Do I need to get some pictures of damaged rims to prove it? Cause I will..........oh and miscreant did you want to write it in french? would that make it easier for you cause I can.....or I can bold the text or something.......

Have a good weekend guys,

Smiles
Well, maybe it's some lingo from canada, but I was "in the business" and to some extent still am, and never heard bridgestones called 'bridges' and also never defined a level of tire as 'mid grade' - there's mid-grade gas, yes...So perhaps it would have been better to write it in layman's terms for people who "aren't in the business" as probably most who read this aren't.

Also, I guess you could say that the bolt pattern reduces the amount of selection of winter wheels you can find, and subsequently limits the tire sizes that appropriately fit on those wheels, which subsequently limits the tire selection for winter. But just saying "Your G6 GTP and others require a special type of winter tire because of the bolt pattern" makes no sense. A special type of tire? because of bolt pattern? what "type" of tire would that be? Mid-grade :D ? Again, makes no sense as originally posted.

Additionally, you posted that GM didn't design our wheels for winter use - Last time I checked, GM engineers were in DETROIT, and are quite familiar with winter, which is why each wheel is painted (except for the polished 18" GTP wheel) or chromed. Yes, it would be great to hop out and pick up an extra set of wheels and tires for winter, but not everyone is willing to do that, it may not be worth it to them, saving the stock wheels like that.

The problem with your first post, for the most part, was the lack of clarification - the supposed "in the business" speak. Next time take the time to speak in layman's terms with clarification.

· Registered
132 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
miscreant said:
Well, maybe it's some lingo from canada, but I was "in the business" and to some extent still am, and never heard bridgestones called 'bridges' and also never defined a level of tire as 'mid grade' - there's mid-grade gas, yes...So perhaps it would have been better to write it in layman's terms for people who "aren't in the business" as probably most who read this aren't.

Also, I guess you could say that the bolt pattern reduces the amount of selection of winter wheels you can find, and subsequently limits the tire sizes that appropriately fit on those wheels, which subsequently limits the tire selection for winter. But just saying "Your G6 GTP and others require a special type of winter tire because of the bolt pattern" makes no sense. A special type of tire? because of bolt pattern? what "type" of tire would that be? Mid-grade :D ? Again, makes no sense as originally posted.

Additionally, you posted that GM didn't design our wheels for winter use - Last time I checked, GM engineers were in DETROIT, and are quite familiar with winter, which is why each wheel is painted (except for the polished 18" GTP wheel) or chromed. Yes, it would be great to hop out and pick up an extra set of wheels and tires for winter, but not everyone is willing to do that, it may not be worth it to them, saving the stock wheels like that.

The problem with your first post, for the most part, was the lack of clarification - the supposed "in the business" speak. Next time take the time to speak in layman's terms with clarification.
I like your style.

I really like your tag line.

· Registered
15 Posts
We can debate about this for hours miscreant, but unfortunately I dont have the time! If you can't understand what I am saying thats to bad cause you missing out. Esspecially if you dont understand what med. grade tires are....if you were in the business at all you WOULD know what that is! Also having limited selection of tires because of bolt patterns means you will have to buy only a certain wheel because there arent many available meaning they will be a special purchase! Therefore that is what I meant by a special winter tire! Good enough clarification?? Or should I elaborate more? Or maybe use only one syllables word for you? If that makes it easier I can.......I know you can make out what I have said in my first post now that youve proally read it a few times and things are starting to make sense.....try using the old brain its there for a reason or maybe research what I am talking about insteading of trying to put me down! Its not apprecaited at all......is that how you get a boost in self esteem? put ppl down? try to make the new guy to the forum look bad?

Smiles

21 - 40 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.