Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this group and hope someone can help. My trunk is stuck with the hardtop in it. Can not get trunk to unlock to pout roof up. Have tried the disconnect battery suggestion. Did not work. Is there another way to unlock trunk? I took it to a body shop and he mentioned buttons maybe that can be pushed to get it to release or shooting power to solenoid to get actuator to pop trunk. I am at my wits end. I have been trying to find a schematic for the trunk and top mechanism.
Help!

Mia C
Louisiana

·
Registered
753 Posts
It is possible to mistime the battery disconnect / trunk release option. I nearly gave up too quickly the first time I tried it. After disconnecting, waiting a minute and reconnecting, try pressing the button repeatedly every second or so for longer than you would expect. What you should hear is the thunk of the trunk lock releasing. If you are hearing that thunk sound but the trunk is not opening there may be a mechanical issue. To my mind it is well worth trying the battery disconnect a few times before giving up. it is by far the easiest and cheapest way to get the trunk open. If that truly does not work it would help to know what messages you get and what does work. Maybe you can hear the pump or the trunk will reverse open. That might help us think of other things you can try. Don't give up :) and hope you can get it working.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is possible to mistime the battery disconnect / trunk release option. I nearly gave up too quickly the first time I tried it. After disconnecting, waiting a minute and reconnecting, try pressing the button repeatedly every second or so for longer than you would expect. What you should hear is the thunk of the trunk lock releasing. If you are hearing that thunk sound but the trunk is not opening there may be a mechanical issue. To my mind it is well worth trying the battery disconnect a few times before giving up. it is by far the easiest and cheapest way to get the trunk open. If that truly does not work it would help to know what messages you get and what does work. Maybe you can hear the pump or the trunk will reverse open. That might help us think of other things you can try. Don't give up :) and hope you can get it working.
Thank you.. we tried several times. My sons even found the emergency release pull in trunk and that would not work. Starting to think it is definitely mechanical.
Thank you for the help. I believe my next stop is a mechanic.

Mia C
Louisiana

·
Registered
520 Posts
Thank you.. we tried several times. My sons even found the emergency release pull in trunk and that would not work. Starting to think it is definitely mechanical.

Mia C
Louisiana
Hello mia,
Yes I stand to be corrected. However, I am thinking that if boomers idea does not work then going and looking for a mechanic with a bidirectional tool might help diagnose the problem but I don't know that it will open the trunk. Which way are you wanting to open the lid. I suggest that you try to get open in the normal way first. If you do get it open then you're going to want to check for a wiring problem along that where the hinge points are and also the oil level in the pump. This is not easy when the roof is lying in there.
Actually one of the first things you will want to do once you trunk is open is check you cargo cover. I call it an apron. If it is not properly in place then your roof will not work. There is a recent thread on here about roof trouble. in the end it is my understanding that the roof would not open because the apron was out of place.
The dealership was ripping the customer for a couple thousand.
Good luck. Boomer has excellent advice and will Not lead you down the garden path.
Convertme

·
Registered
753 Posts
Part of the hydraulic mechanism are hooks that keep the trunk secure for the reverse open. My guess is that they are still engaged. If this is the case your best bet may be to try and get the trunk to reverse open or fully secure. Either could prove a challenge depending what is actually wrong. A scan tool with folding top module capability that @Convertme mentions would likely be a big help if you know a dealer / mechanic that has one. If you can get the hydraulics moving it will be easier to get things open and sorted.

Do you get any messages if you try to open / close the roof? Does anything happen (pump noise / movement)?

Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille White

If you or your sons are feeling adventurous, you could see if you can slip something in to push the levers back down. The hydraulic pressure drops off 5 mins or so after the pump last ran. If I recall correctly the hooks come from the outside (towards the tail lights) into the middle and hook over the metal wheel like items on the trunk lid. Getting something towards the lock in the middle and pushing out towards the tail lights might get them to move. Each has its own hydraulic ram so I guess you would need to move them independently. (never done it myself, just a best guess). Before you attempt this I would double check the reverse open side of the trunk to make sure it is secure.

Hope some of this helps. Please take care if you try anything yourselves and best of luck.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Part of the hydraulic mechanism are hooks that keep the trunk secure for the reverse open. My guess is that they are still engaged. If this is the case your best bet may be to try and get the trunk to reverse open or fully secure. Either could prove a challenge depending what is actually wrong. A scan tool with folding top module capability that @Convertme mentions would likely be a big help if you know a dealer / mechanic that has one. If you can get the hydraulics moving it will be easier to get things open and sorted.

Do you get any messages if you try to open / close the roof? Does anything happen (pump noise / movement)?

View attachment 18825

If you or your sons are feeling adventurous, you could see if you can slip something in to push the levers back down. The hydraulic pressure drops off 5 mins or so after the pump last ran. If I recall correctly the hooks come from the outside (towards the tail lights) into the middle and hook over the metal wheel like items on the trunk lid. Getting something towards the lock in the middle and pushing out towards the tail lights might get them to move. Each has its own hydraulic ram so I guess you would need to move them independently. (never done it myself, just a best guess). Before you attempt this I would double check the reverse open side of the trunk to make sure it is secure.

Hope some of this helps. Please take care if you try anything yourselves and best of luck.
Thank you. At this point I am desperate. Nothing is working.The hydraulics are not moving because fluid has leaked out. I really just want trunk opened and just seems nothing is working. The top is showing not secure and trunk ajar. The top is down all the way and the trunk will not budge. Every mechanic says something different.
I am the point of cutting a hole behind the license plate and going after the mechanism manually or taking off back bumper to force it open. Lord give me strength.

Thank you guys for your help. I am just flabberghasted that Pontiac did not take into account this might happen. Everything you need fix issue is in the trunk you can‘t get into!
Signed..
Mia C
Aggravated In Louisiana

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank you. At this point I am desperate. Nothing is working.The hydraulics are not moving because fluid has leaked out. I really just want trunk opened and just seems nothing is working. The top is showing not secure and trunk ajar. The top is down all the way and the trunk will not budge. Every mechanic says something different.
I am the point of cutting a hole behind the license plate and going after the mechanism manually or taking off back bumper to force it open. Lord give me strength.

Thank you guys for your help. I am just flabberghasted that Pontiac did not take into account this might happen. Everything you need fix issue is in the trunk you can‘t get into!
Signed..
Mia C
Aggravated In Louisiana
New to this group and hope someone can help. My trunk is stuck with the hardtop in it. Can not get trunk to unlock to pout roof up. Have tried the disconnect battery suggestion. Did not work. Is there another way to unlock trunk? I took it to a body shop and he mentioned buttons maybe that can be pushed to get it to release or shooting power to solenoid to get actuator to pop trunk. I am at my wits end. I have been trying to find a schematic for the trunk and top mechanism.
Help!

Mia C
Louisiana
So let me get this straight
Basically what your saying is the hard top won't go back up , an it's stuck in the trunk , 1st , don't go an buy a Chilton on this car , totally useless , I bought 1 an everything says , take it to the dealership 2nd check power at the switch that lowers an rises it , a test light can be used for this , should be ground wire an hot wire , an in both positions it should light up3rd check all your fuses 4th , try your key button entry, check the battery in it, could be a relay stuck open, suggest ask Google Wich relay operates the top , I've downloaded the owners manual on it, but doesn't say, there's not much information out there about these cars, maybe try , Pontiac / GM year model an problem
Help!

Mia C
Louisiana
I found a wireing diagram on Google about the hard tops, it's like I said , ask Google , Pontiac /GM year , GT GO wireing diagrams , I looked up about the automatic transmission manual mode , , an found it on it , but you have to look at different wireing diagrams to find it

·
Registered
5 Posts

Mia C
Louisiana
Mia, whatever came of it. Having same sort of issue but top stuck in trunk.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am having the same issue along with others. I am getting "top not secure" msg but the top didnt work when I got the car secondhand. I do not hear a "thunk" or any thing at all. Have a temporary fix with a hanger attached to the latch and pulled thru backseat allowing me to "pop" the trunk.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello mia,
Yes I stand to be corrected. However, I am thinking that if boomers idea does not work then going and looking for a mechanic with a bidirectional tool might help diagnose the problem but I don't know that it will open the trunk. Which way are you wanting to open the lid. I suggest that you try to get open in the normal way first. If you do get it open then you're going to want to check for a wiring problem along that where the hinge points are and also the oil level in the pump. This is not easy when the roof is lying in there.
Actually one of the first things you will want to do once you trunk is open is check you cargo cover. I call it an apron. If it is not properly in place then your roof will not work. There is a recent thread on here about roof trouble. in the end it is my understanding that the roof would not open because the apron was out of place.
The dealership was ripping the customer for a couple thousand.
Good luck. Boomer has excellent advice and will Not lead you down the garden path.
Convertme
Sorry about this 😔 🍋 of a top.
Buellton ca. Rio Vista chev fixed the
Open trunk button.
That was it.
Suggest manually raising top and welding
Shut.
What I did..
Ps I'm selling motor for 150$. Anybody?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts