Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Top speed 08 GXP

11K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  ScaryFatKidGT 
#1 ·
What is it ive hit 110 and had planety more to go, but what is it really,

#2 ·
Depends where the governor is set. Unless you have a tune your car will stop at some spot short of 140. I'm thinking 115 but I just pulled that out of my ass.

#6 ·
I know the GTP (which is now the GXP) had the governor set at 115, can't remember what year. But they might've raised it for the GXP. I know it can top out at 140 or more with the GXP, it's just that Pontiac sets the governor somewhere south of 140 so that you can't go faster than that, unless you have a tune with cancels out the governor.

I also put in a K&N filter and the difference is night and day especially when accelerating from a stop. Never personally got it up to 130 (05 GT governor set at 135), cause not enough room on the road for me to get that much speed.

#9 · (Edited)
They are "T" tire rating which means that the tire is only good up to about 118. Most likely your governor is about 115. It's sad that Pontiac would skimp by putting $99 tires on a $28,000 vehicle.

It also got shitty reviews. Stupid link won't work. Go to Tirerack and you should find your tire and its "glowing" review.

#14 ·
Me personally no. I only got it to 115 before pulling up when some dick was tailgating me on I-81...mostly because my fiancee didn't want any part of it. :p

#15 ·
Ok.. so i wish my car topped out at 135 or anything other than 110. :(.

my 07' G6 Base (3.5L V6) tops out at 110. :( and same thing like someone else said. I hit 3rd, at around 104 and then when it shifts to 4th, i get 6mph more.. then thats it.. thats stupid..

(and yes. i found out on US 24 :D, runs right through the center of my town.)

#20 ·
You know you could get a tune that would take out that pesky governor right? Contact Chris at whiteautoandmedia.com or something to that effect. He has the only proven way to get rid of the governor and improve shifting along with other goodies.

#26 ·
I'm thinking CRABs because the tune says something about remapping and sometimes if you remap the fuel system that it'll make you fail emissions. Then again I could be wrong... I don't need or expect a race car, just a few extra horses would be nice :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.