Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 05 (standard) shuts off, or maxes out, at 110. I know the car's capable of more than that, but how do I change it? Is this something the dealer can/would do with a little arm twisting?

My uncle has a 2002 Passat and we've been known to open them up once in a while on some rural roads around home. His shuts off around 110 as well, and I wanna be able to eak him out with this car. He got me so many times in my old Ranger (shut off at 95) and I seek revenge :D

·
Registered
369 Posts
... I highly doubt the dealer will accommodate the change due to possible 'legal issues' that could result should something happen as a result of the alteration ... I also doubt it will be an easy change because I suspect the G6 is somewhat like the Grand Am being the speed limiter is a function of the computer and unless you have a Tech3 you will not be able to access the relevant parameter ... for interest sake, changing the speed limiter in the Grand Am has only been accessible in the past couple years after a couple companies have now been able to reprogram the computer completely ... having said this, I would imagine someone will do this for the G6 eventually but not sure when :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine stops at 110 as well. Has anyone with a GT or GTP tested the top end or know what it is? I'm guessing it is decently higher since both cars come with V-rated tires.

·
Registered
169 Posts
branderson said:
Mine stops at 110 as well. Has anyone with a GT or GTP tested the top end or know what it is? I'm guessing it is decently higher since both cars come with V-rated tires.
My GT tops out at about 135. That's nowhere near a V speed rating, but the engine stops there anyway. (It feels like a fuel cutoff that restarts when the speed drops back to 130.)

Your speed is computer limited, and is indeed based on the speed rating of the OEM tires.

To change your top end on the standard model, you'll need to have it changed in the computer. I doubt you're going to find a dealer that will mess with that because of the liability issues presented by our excessively litigious society.

·
Registered
423 Posts
otcpharm said:
My GT tops out at about 135. That's nowhere near a V speed rating, but the engine stops there anyway. (It feels like a fuel cutoff that restarts when the speed drops back to 130.)

Your speed is computer limited, and is indeed based on the speed rating of the OEM tires.

To change your top end on the standard model, you'll need to have it changed in the computer. I doubt you're going to find a dealer that will mess with that because of the liability issues presented by our excessively litigious society.
WHAT! 135MPH????? ARE YOU GUYS 'INTERCOURSING' NUTS? of course, back in the 'good old days' i used to take my bosses '70 plymouth superbird out on I-75 in south florida and run 150mph with a bad u-joint and think nothing of it......all i was concerned with was beating the tar out of the vette next to me. in case you wanted to know, the mission was a success!!!

second thought, nevermind.....carry on!!!! just make sure you beat that jetta, wrx or whatever.....

·
Registered
61 Posts
Do these cars have a replaceable chip? My old Firebird was speed limited by the factory because of the tire rating. Replacing the chip from a bird with z tires would increase the speed. Not that I really want or need to go that quick, but as G6Action said, it used to be so much fun, 150 in my '70 GTO, taking 2 lanes because it felt like it weighed 50 lbs. Ahhhh, to be young and dumb again....

·
Registered
169 Posts
Blackrider said:
gezzz when do you ever need to go faster than 110MPH!!!! :rolleyes:
I cut my "speed teeth" in a '70 Charger RT (440, six-pack), followed by a Chevelle SS, so 135 in the G6 is pretty tame.

Western Kansas has a lot of really long, straight, smooth highways - if you can stay awake long enough to enjoy them.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There is a company called digital horsepower that reprograms the computers for Grand Prix's and I will see them next weekend. I will ask them if they are going to develop the same thing for the G6.

·
Registered
423 Posts
otcpharm said:
I cut my "speed teeth" in a '70 Charger RT (440, six-pack), followed by a Chevelle SS, so 135 in the G6 is pretty tame.

Western Kansas has a lot of really long, straight, smooth highways - if you can stay awake long enough to enjoy them.
don't i long for those really long, straight, smooth highways (without cops!)........always great for 'feelin her out'. (70 Charger RT 440 six-pack? thats what the Superbird was, with a 4sp pistol-grip shifter..AWESOME) my first NEW car was a Mazda RX-2 w/rotary engine. i drove one NIGHT to the bowling alley (i was running a little late) on U.S. 31 and had it up to 110....IN THE RAIN!! now THAT was just being young and stupid....and probably BEFORE speed-rated tires!!!!!

holy cow, batman!!!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
G6Action said:
(70 Charger RT 440 six-pack? thats what the Superbird was, with a 4sp pistol-grip shifter..AWESOME) my first NEW car was a Mazda RX-2 w/rotary engine. ....and probably BEFORE speed-rated tires!!!!!
Speed rated tires? Only in our young, impetuous dreams.

Man, the Chargers, Challengers, Daytonas, and Suberbirds were rolling on bias-ply 'glass tires!

I guess, looking back, that we WERE nuts.

·
Registered
169 Posts
GTPGuy82 said:
on the track of course!

Mike
Yeah, we've got a really nice track out here.

It's called I-70!

When you get out of the city heading west, every few miles you'll hit a straight stretch that's about two miles long - straight as an arrow with a clean line of sight. (if you look hard enough on a clear day, sometimes you can see Colorado)

Ah, Kansas - flatter than a pancake. And fewer state troopers per mile of highway than most other states in the union.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Blackrider said:
gezzz when do you ever need to go faster than 110MPH!!!! :rolleyes:
Since its been a long time since Ive been to 170+mph.. I get the itch frequently. There is never really A NEED. :D

Strange that the GT or GTP would have a fuel cut when the V6 just sits against the 110 mark (Throttle by wire was supposed to elimanate the fuel cut I thought). Im sure they are very close to getting rid of those limitations. I will talk to my friend at HPtuners and see if they have worked on anything.

If you guys want to experience something insane...go find an LT1 Camaro or firebird equiped with 2:73 gears or without the QFZ/QTZ tire package and try to top it out. At 120mph you will suddenly get JERKED from your seat as the throttle is cut and brakes applied instantaneously. I dropped 10mph in a split second while running a 03 mustang GT into the tripples (so he was a ways back..I just wanted to rub it in :p ).

·
Registered
109 Posts
otcpharm said:
QUOTE]

I'm a little curious now. Did it feel like there was still room to go or was it pretty much topped out by then? H's are around 130 I think? So the V's make sense.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I could tell you right now will only 200hp and the aeros we have... your going to top around 135~140mph... The "invisible wall" will definately be stopping you from getting much further.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
At 110 my G just feels like that's all it has....doesn't shut off and sound like it's dying for air, the way my Ranger used to do. That thing would shut down similar to the way the Camaro was referenced doing, without the braking. Then about 85, it'd find new life.

110 is fun, but I really want 115 or 120. Just once, maybe twice a year. Is that too much to ask :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
The reason it sits at 110 is the computer has direct throttle control (since the pedal is simply an electric switch). On older cars (and the camaro) a physical connection from the pedal to the throttle body prevents the computer from limiting your speed like that.

·
Registered
169 Posts
branderson said:
I'm a little curious now. Did it feel like there was still room to go or was it pretty much topped out by then? H's are around 130 I think? So the V's make sense.
No, it didn't feel like it had much left. From 130 to 135 seemed to take forever - it just creeped slowly up.

And S8ER99 is correct in that our relatively limited HP doesn't allow us to go much past 135 anyway.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts