Pontiac G6 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
otcpharm said:
Yeah, we've got a really nice track out here.

It's called I-70!

When you get out of the city heading west, every few miles you'll hit a straight stretch that's about two miles long - straight as an arrow with a clean line of sight. (if you look hard enough on a clear day, sometimes you can see Colorado)

Ah, Kansas - flatter than a pancake. And fewer state troopers per mile of highway than most other states in the union.
we've got an "I-70" Raceway here in indy too. down side is that you tend to get 'red flagged' alot by the 'officials' and they tend to fine you and ADD points....not good. but hey, we sometimes just have to 'go with the flow'...

·
Registered
108 Posts
G6Action said:
we've got an "I-70" Raceway here in indy too. down side is that you tend to get 'red flagged' alot by the 'officials' and they tend to fine you and ADD points....not good. but hey, we sometimes just have to 'go with the flow'...
I like 465 better :) ITs even shaped like a race track.

·
Registered
532 Posts
We have a bridge we call the I-100... Its actually I-80 but every morning we would leave the Iowa ramp WOT until we hit 120~130mph and were slowing down for the other ramp just acrossed the river. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Speed limiters are simple. Depending on the vehicle. Some cars you can snip a wire, others you need an FCD (Fuel Cut Defenser) which is more commonly used on forced induction vehicles. But simply by eliminating the signal of excessive speed to the ECU can we eliminate speed restrictions. Not necessarily removing your speed sensor because of course you need that. I am in the process sometime this week in locating a wire diagram, and an ECU layout to see where exactly I can make this "snip" So you will all be informed when I find out, because im not about to be doing 135+ and have my car shut off.
jeff

·
Registered
532 Posts
It takes a while to get there... so its not a big issue once you get to it. Chances are your acceleration will be slow enough you might not even notice it for a few moments.

·
Registered
268 Posts
spoolinturbo said:
Speed limiters are simple. Depending on the vehicle. Some cars you can snip a wire, others you need an FCD (Fuel Cut Defenser) which is more commonly used on forced induction vehicles. But simply by eliminating the signal of excessive speed to the ECU can we eliminate speed restrictions. Not necessarily removing your speed sensor because of course you need that. I am in the process sometime this week in locating a wire diagram, and an ECU layout to see where exactly I can make this "snip" So you will all be informed when I find out, because im not about to be doing 135+ and have my car shut off.
jeff
Good luck. I'm not to optimistic on this solution. There is no input into the PCM that tells it when to activate the governor, it uses inputs and decides when to activate it. There is no wire you can simply snip without affecting a great many things.

·
Registered
142 Posts
why not just get a programmer and change it? might be expensive but sure beats trying to explain to ur dealer how a wire got snipped when u need the job warrentied lol

·
Registered
268 Posts
SimplyRed said:
why not just get a programmer and change it? might be expensive but sure beats trying to explain to ur dealer how a wire got snipped when u need the job warrentied lol
Because there is currently no programers avalable for the G6

spoolinturbo said:
all depends on the PCM, inputs and outputs. Ill know for sure when I look into it,
jeff
I can tell you right now that there is no input into the PCM strictly for the governor. Its part of the PCM program, it takes inputs from the speed sensor, tac sig, trans gear, ect. and determines when its reaching injector cutoff. the govenor is just an extention of torque abuse.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Blackrider said:
Because there is currently no programers avalable for the G6

I can tell you right now that there is no input into the PCM strictly for the governor. Its part of the PCM program, it takes inputs from the speed sensor, tac sig, trans gear, ect. and determines when its reaching injector cutoff. the govenor is just an extention of torque abuse.
regaurdless a signal is sent from the PCM the PCM alone does not make the cars governor kick in, even if its internally within the PCM that compononent has some sort of length of travel to make to another component to the tell the vehicle to give fuel-cut.
jeff

·
Registered
169 Posts
spoolinturbo said:
regaurdless a signal is sent from the PCM the PCM alone does not make the cars governor kick in, even if its internally within the PCM that compononent has some sort of length of travel to make to another component to the tell the vehicle to give fuel-cut.
jeff
I think you're going to be disappointed when you start to tear into this.

The G6 doesn't follow any of the rules that we've come to expect from any other GM product out there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
spoolinturbo said:
jeff
Actualy it does. I've explained it the best I can, I think you're going to find this out soon enough.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, I don't think there is going to be some "snip" to remove any governer. I think Blackrider is correct, the vehicle simply uses existing sensors and the computer is programmed to not allow the car to exceed a certain speed. Pretty sure most modern cars are like this.This might be incorrect, but I would be VERY, VERY surprised if there was dedicated wiring for some sort of speed limiting feature.

·
Registered
28 Posts
im not saying its going to be necessarily a snip. But it is going to be accomplished, I have found two companies so far who build PCM upgrades for GM vehicles and I have emailed both of them regaurding our vehicle for higher perameters on all levels, and to include...no fuel cut. so I am just waiting for a response, and if they dont want to build one or whatever, im just going to buy one cause they only cost $400 from sites I have seen I will send it in for a custom job. Depending of course if they need to operate on the same level as the BCM and ingnition system like the 01+ grandams, so I would have to take mine out and send it to them.
jeff

·
Registered
268 Posts
spoolinturbo said:
im not saying its going to be necessarily a snip. But it is going to be accomplished, I have found two companies so far who build PCM upgrades for GM vehicles and I have emailed both of them regaurding our vehicle for higher perameters on all levels, and to include...no fuel cut. so I am just waiting for a response, and if they dont want to build one or whatever, im just going to buy one cause they only cost $400 from sites I have seen I will send it in for a custom job. Depending of course if they need to operate on the same level as the BCM and ingnition system like the 01+ grandams, so I would have to take mine out and send it to them.
jeff
I never said it was impossible, I just said there was no physical way you can do it. DHP removes the Governors in all their entry level PCM's

Its all programing!

As I said DHP is working on PCM's for the G6.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Technically we do not even have a 'fuel cut'... the car just sits against the set parameters from the PCM tables... Just a programming issue...chances are its just using the vehicles speed sensor (same feed as the speedo).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Double check on this but some of GM's vehicles the VSS or vehicle speed sense wire is Green/White located at several points in the vehicle. It should be at the instrument panel for the speedo, behind the radio for speed controlled volume, and apparently at the PCM or Powertrain control module. You maybe able just to cut it and put a hidden overide switch near the PCM to remove the speed signal from the PCM and still retain your speedometer. If this car is equipped with the class II data bus system which it should be (you can tell if the door chime comes from the left front speaker) the speed pulse maybe carried down the Purple/White or data wire at the OBD II connector. If that is the case you may be SOL.

·
Registered
268 Posts
spoolinturbo said:
Double check on this but some of GM's vehicles the VSS or vehicle speed sense wire is Green/White located at several points in the vehicle. It should be at the instrument panel for the speedo, behind the radio for speed controlled volume, and apparently at the PCM or Powertrain control module. You maybe able just to cut it and put a hidden overide switch near the PCM to remove the speed signal from the PCM and still retain your speedometer. If this car is equipped with the class II data bus system which it should be (you can tell if the door chime comes from the left front speaker) the speed pulse maybe carried down the Purple/White or data wire at the OBD II connector. If that is the case you may be SOL.
But thats what i'm saying the PCM NEEDS to know the speed of the car such things as the tranny use that input.

·
Registered
169 Posts
spoolinturbo said:
If this car is equipped with the class II data bus system which it should be (you can tell if the door chime comes from the left front speaker) the speed pulse maybe carried down the Purple/White or data wire at the OBD II connector. If that is the case you may be SOL.
Actually, you can tell if this car is OBDII by checking the year it was built. If it was built after 1996, then it's OBDII.

However, they jumped in early and implemented the newer CAN bus protocol (to be mandatory by 2008). New hardware and software required to do diagnostics on CAN, so I wouldn't be too quick to try to apply things that worked on older models.

21 - 40 of 130 Posts