Pontiac G6 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Blackrider said:
But thats what i'm saying the PCM NEEDS to know the speed of the car such things as the tranny use that input.
Very good point. I know on my Z shift points were all controlled by MPH and not RPM or any other variable. If that was the case you may also risk sending the PCM 0 MPH and having it dump into first gear. (doubtful..but possible in theory)

·
Registered
268 Posts
S8ER99 said:
Very good point. I know on my Z shift points were all controlled by MPH and not RPM or any other variable. If that was the case you may also risk sending the PCM 0 MPH and having it dump into first gear. (doubtful..but possible in theory)
I'm pretty sure it needs both, I know on GM's it does anyways. Nissan might have a different system.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I did my own tuning ;) I won't claim all GMs do..but I know my car calculated by MPH only.

Note: I noticed you said Nissan.. .blah..I wouldn't own a nissan product... Z = Z28 (Must be an Fbody owner thing... thats what is used everywhere Ive been fwiw)

·
Registered
114 Posts
i wouldn't be worried about speed limiters anyways. if you can't hit it in the quarter mile, you don't need to worry.

once you hit the limit running the 1320, THEN worry about speed limiters...

(no direct offense implied, but what's the point?)

·
Registered
268 Posts
S8ER99 said:
I did my own tuning ;) I won't claim all GMs do..but I know my car calculated by MPH only.

Note: I noticed you said Nissan.. .blah..I wouldn't own a nissan product... Z = Z28 (Must be an Fbody owner thing... thats what is used everywhere Ive been fwiw)
Ahhh Gotch ya, Yeah I did all my own tuning on the Grand Am Via the PowrTuner and it used both MPH and RPM, witch made it a pain in the ass to set shiftpoints.
What year was you're "Z"?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vita said:
i wouldn't be worried about speed limiters anyways. if you can't hit it in the quarter mile, you don't need to worry.

once you hit the limit running the 1320, THEN worry about speed limiters...

(no direct offense implied, but what's the point?)
auto X track applications

·
Registered
532 Posts
Unless you are modding heavily I dont see that being a problem. A Z06 can hit those speeds on a few straightaways (roadcourse) otherwise..not gonna be a problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Weller said:
Where do you autoX and hit above 130mph? Just about every track I've seen has a top speed of 45.
45mph? on the track?! im used to watkins glen in NY. And theres some tracks down here in florida and alabama others get up to 110 on with less HP. And I would like to do some SCCA club races eventually whenever I get time. Military does not permit time that often.
jeff

and as stated above I do alot of interstate travel from panhandle to tampa, or to tallahassee, or NC or NY. So my speed travels are way above this cars governor. I used to set my BMW cruise at 138MPH (please dont lecture me, im not a kid. My actions are just that, mine.)
jeff

·
Registered
58 Posts
spoolinturbo said:
45mph? on the track?! im used to watkins glen in NY. And theres some tracks down here in florida and alabama others get up to 110 on with less HP. And I would like to do some SCCA club races eventually whenever I get time. Military does not permit time that often.
I've never had the luxury of a speedway before. Most autoXs around here are short courses in parking lots and such. Lots of turns and short straights. I still don't think the G6 would make a good autoX car. I'm not at all impressed with the suspension or handling. There aren't many parts available yet, and when they do become available, they'll cost a grip. I'd think you'd have better luck and more fun with your BMW.
Good luck to you though.

·
Registered
532 Posts
As far as the highway arguments... don't worry I completely understand...as someone who almost daily visited 150+mph... I get rather frustrated running the 10 mile stretch home stuck against my 110mph limiter. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
i see now. most people just want to so they can go faster, but if you'll actually get to those speeds on the track, then more power to you.

i think the G6 will be a great track car once proper suspension components are available.

i've regularly hit some pretty fast speeds in the Red Line, but i'd be wary of speeds that high in this car without the proper rubber...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Vita said:
i've regularly hit some pretty fast speeds in the Red Line, but i'd be wary of speeds that high in this car without the proper rubber...
No problems with the rubber on the GT, other than the quality. The GT can't even hope to reach the rated max for the OEM tires (W rated). Without mods, it'll run out of steam before it even reaches the limit of V-rated tires. When I hit the limiter, it was still accelerating, but v e r y slowly.

·
Registered
114 Posts
otcpharm said:
No problems with the rubber on the GT, other than the quality. The GT can't even hope to reach the rated max for the OEM tires (W rated). Without mods, it'll run out of steam before it even reaches the limit of V-rated tires. When I hit the limiter, it was still accelerating, but v e r y slowly.
if it's that slow to reach the limiter, is it really necessary to want a raised limiter for a road track?

i doubt it...

edit: i think the G6 (GT w/3500) is the wrong car for this guy, and a track oriented vehicle would have been better for him.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh its definately the wrong car. it would be nice to see once setup with nice suspension, brakes, etc...Gm could have made a BMWish handling car here if they tried.

·
Registered
114 Posts
S8ER99 said:
Oh its definately the wrong car. it would be nice to see once setup with nice suspension, brakes, etc...Gm could have made a BMWish handling car here if they tried.
all they need to do is take the time to tune the suspension like they did the Cobalt SS/Ion Redline, and they'd have a serious road car (plus LOTS more power). you would hope the GTP solves that though.

it's just a shame to see someone try and turn an auto G6 into a track car, when there are sooo many more viable options for the money...

·
Registered
532 Posts
I see soo many people try to do the same thing with a 100hp import so seeing someone do it with a domestic car is actually refreshing. *scary thought isn't it?*

·
Registered
114 Posts
S8ER99 said:
I see soo many people try to do the same thing with a 100hp import so seeing someone do it with a domestic car is actually refreshing. *scary thought isn't it?*
i hear ya, but it's one thing to do it with a car you just spent a grand or two on, and quite another to do so with a 20k+ car given the available alternatives...

Spoolin' - nothing against your decision, as it's a nice car, just not quite the direction i'd personally go with it. please keep us updated on your progress!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Vita said:
i hear ya, but it's one thing to do it with a car you just spent a grand or two on, and quite another to do so with a 20k+ car given the available alternatives...

Spoolin' - nothing against your decision, as it's a nice car, just not quite the direction i'd personally go with it. please keep us updated on your progress!
most understandable. I just like to see what the car can do. beleive me its not the best decision haha. the BMW was built for it and held pretty good and i am getting rid of it on saturday i think, depending on buyer.

As for the engine slowing down. I beleive it co-insides with the PCM determining torque overload as stated before. So the computer may be noticing we are close and giving us bits and peices because ive experimented and power does not drop as fast as mine did. no steady loss in power. So im going to throw down that it can obtain better speeds with stock power, but not as quick as wanted.

41 - 60 of 130 Posts