Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All , thank you for the acceptance. Is it possible for the switch to be bad and at the same time allow the trunk lid to open and close without issue ?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Sorry, I do not think I fully understand the question. There are many switches involved in the operation of the convertible top. I would expect that one or more could be faulty and the trunk would still open and close normally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trunk lid will open backwards and the pump will continue for a few seconds and then just stop. The top is in the trunk and will not budge.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My usual guess if it does that is that you have a leak usually due to a weak hydraulic cylinder and possibly as a consequence, low hydraulic fluid. Another possibility is broken wiring that usually occurs on the trunk hinges. From your description I would guess it is hydraulic related as that is pretty much how things sounded on mine when the main cylinders started to give out.

If you have a few spare people you may be able to have one person operate the top whilst one on each side lift and carefully manoeuvre the top into the closed position. Clearly people need to be careful with limbs if they do this. It is far easier to check and fill the hydraulic fluid with the top out of the way. Also better stuck up than stuck down to my mind. Also in my experience the hydraulic system does not lose fluid unless there is a leak.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts