Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2007 gt G6 has 207,000km but has been well maintained. The hardtop pump reservoir has needed top-up fluid every 4 or 5 cycles. But now the top won't go down at all. The cycle won't even start by lowering the windows. I get "Top Complete" when I press the up button. But when I press the down button, I get an intermittent "Top Not Secure" message, even though the top is tightly secure. No movement at all in the top mechanism, not even a sound. I'm thinking no power, but I have checked the fuses. Could the reservoir be too full? Any suggestions, please?

·
Registered
256 Posts
The hydraulic roof system is a closed system. Therefore, adding hydraulic fluid every 4 or 5 cycles suggests that there is a leak in that system. I would start there. Get that fixed before you get the top down and can not put it back up. I am concerned that you may have burned out the electric motor or the hydraulic pump by running it with low fluid.
I would target the motor first as you have indicated that you can no longer hear anything. If it were the other way around you should hear the motor.

I wish you luck Kemble

Convertme

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2007 gt G6 has 207,000km but has been well maintained. The hardtop pump reservoir has needed top-up fluid every 4 or 5 cycles. But now the top won't go down at all. The cycle won't even start by lowering the windows. I get "Top Complete" when I press the up button. But when I press the down button, I get an intermittent "Top Not Secure" message, even though the top is tightly secure. No movement at all in the top mechanism, not even a sound. I'm thinking no power, but I have checked the fuses. Could the reservoir be too full? Any suggestions, please?
Same thing happened to my 2007 G6 hardtop convertible a few weeks ago. " Top Not Secure"
Took it to the dealers to be told it was the 3 way sensor for the top and trunk. Which I can not get the $50.00 replacement part as "Pontiac" is out of business and there is "NO" after market parts. So now I can't get in the trunk unless I disconnect the battery, top wouldn't go back up, so the dealer got it back up for me. Only have 86,000 mile on her and she runs great. So now looking in the car grave yard for part to no avail. Grrrrrrrrr! GM should be "Sued" for leaving us all in the lurch!! Anyone want to start a Class Action Lawsuit!! On another blog I read was getting an engineer to build a sensor?? We had that done years ago by guy who worked for Maersk ( the big shipping lines) for our 40 foot Silverton boat generator...all from a .39 cent part from Radio Shack of course the total bill for his brilliance was $700.00 dollars, but better than a new 10,000 dollar generator....best of luck!

·
Registered
440 Posts
As well as the wiring checks and leak repair there are also a number of micro switches that need to be in the correct state for the top to function. A more advanced OBD II scan tool will have the folding top diagnostics that may help pin point sensor (or wiring) issues. If after a close inspection you cannot find the issue yourself, it may be worth paying a local mechanic a diagnostic fee to see what they can find unless you have a friend with one. I have also had one of the metal arms on one of the micro switches come off which lead to similar issues.

Top Hydraulics can usually repair the leaking cylinders.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts