Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 G6 GT coupe that pulls to the right when shifting. Mostly noticeable at speeds above 30 mph when shifting especially if I am making a slight turn to right you really feel it. I took it to Dunn Tire and had 4 wheel alignment and mechanic checked car all over. Could not find any problem... brakes, struts,tires all good. Mechanic took out for test drive and he said he can feel it and has no idea why but it's definitely torque steer. Taking off at a light you can accelerate hard and it does not pull only does it at higher speeds shifting say above 30mph.
Any ideas??

·
08 convertible
200 Posts
Taking off at a light you can accelerate hard and it does not pull only does it at higher speeds shifting say above 30mph.
Any ideas??
That is NOT torque steer. Torque steer is just what it says: you apply large amounts of torque, the car steers. In cars that have it, it's most obvious when you take off real hard from a standstill. It's inherent to a car's design and it doesn't just happen randomly. It's also not a defect that only affects some of the cars of a given model. It affects all cars and is not fixable. Since no one else has the issue, clearly the G6 does not suffer from torque steer.

I would find a competent shop to diagnose it. Perhaps a transmission/differential/CV joint issue?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I had a torque/shift/steer problem at one point.
You could accelerate hard just fine, but that 30 mph 1-2 shift would push right I believe. I expected it, so wasn't much fuss.
In my case, it was winter tires on my GT convertible. Instead of the H performance rating, the tires were 97Q. You have to Google a chart to really get it, but H is 130 top speed while Q is 99. That difference comes from construction differences, which is mostly sidewall which translates to stiffness.
Long story short, if I wasn't completely straight during a full throttle 1-2, you'd feel the car wobble or lead as I assume the sidewall deformed during the maneuver. It would go away when I switched back to summer tires.
Those were some good traction tire, but was glad to swap them out finally after 3 seasons. The new ones have a much higher rating.
So, what are we using for shoes on that car?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am running Michelin Primacy MXM4 98V . Sounds like the same thing I am experiencing. Now that I am thinking about it i believe it started about the time when I swapped out the winter tires and put these back on! I am going to put the winter tires back on and see what it does.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Of hand, that should be a good choice, but it can't hurt to swap and confirm that it isn't tire related.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts