Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I have a question regaurding what a G6 GT does at the track? I have tried looking it up and saw someones G6 GTP ran 14.3, but I need to know what a G6 GT runs.

I own a 2001 Trans-Am WS6, but am currently driving a 2009 G6 GT. It is an automatic, with the "sport shift" if that matters. I am just curious to what they do in the 1/4, it deff. has some get up and go, especially nailing it between 55-65MPH, almost feels like a turbo kicking in!

Also the car is BONE stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think they run mid to low 15's but I'm not positive. They run good but there not fast by any means. I did another 0-60 with my G-Tech about 3 weeks ago and got a 7.14 out of it. with the T/C off it spun for about 5 feet which isn't to bad. The old LX9{05 and 06 G6's} V6 would do the same thing off the line but the LZ4{07 and up G6's} will walk away from it once it gets rolling.

Mark.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT. It is has a K&N air filter (flat) and Yokohama YK520 street tires. I can run a 15.6 in the quarter and a 6.8 0-60. I have found that traction control adds to the time. So if you want fast times turn it off. They are fast little cars. I am more impressed with the handling. Take it around some corners and be amazed. I CAN ONLY STRESS BE CAREFUL!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT. It is has a K&N air filter (flat) and Yokohama YK520 street tires. I can run a 15.6 in the quarter and a 6.8 0-60. I have found that traction control adds to the time. So if you want fast times turn it off. They are fast little cars. I am more impressed with the handling. Take it around some corners and be amazed. I CAN ONLY STRESS BE CAREFUL!!
Wow if you ran a 0-60 in 6.8 you sir have the fastest stock 05 G6 GT known to man I believe{if it is stock}:eek:. And I'm not saying you didn't. But if your just using a stop watch I can believe it. Or just a really good day to run it. GT's just don't run like that usually. Well mine wouldn't and I've got 24 HP on you.:D

Mark.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Well dear sir, I used a stop watch on my iPhone. I was using high performance tires and had VERY favorable conditions. It was extremely cold and that makes the air hold more oxygen. Thus making the explosion in the cylinder more potent. I also was on a new road that was very sticky. I ran a 6.8 to 60 for the fact that the conditions were so good. And not to mention that the car has been lightened by about 300 lbs. And you said you had 24 more horsepower on me. I am making 235 hp. I know that for a fact because the car has been on dyno and Modified Auto Designs. I use the car more for corners than a straight line. With the suspension it is equipped with it was a must. Well now that you say it I may just have the fast G6 GT known to man!!!! :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's all good. And I was just saying that it's hard to be real accurate with a stop watch. My brother did the stop watch thing when I ran mine with the G-Tech and he got a 6 something also. Which for us was wishful thinking{but giving a tenth or 2 is not to far off}. The G-Tech is alot more accurate then a stop watch. And I do know all about the effect of cooler air{I've drag raced for years} I also didn't know your car had been lightened. But you had a very good run and sounds like a pretty quick G6 And like I said It's all good I'm not trying to get personal. Good run!!

Mark.

Edit: You edited your post while I was typing mine but your making very good horse power!! 235 hp to the wheels is fantastic for our G6's! I wouldn't want to race ya in my 6!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a stock 08 G6 GT with the 18" wheel option and with traction off, (and a brisk day in the high 30s F :)) i got a 6.9s 0-60 using Dynolicious on the iPhone (similar type of thing to a g-tech, matthewg6 - you should invest in it, its like a $12 iPhone program, but well worth it. it uses the accelerometer to measure acceleration, braking and lateral g as well as 0-60 and quarter mile times)

when its hot though (70s-80s), i can't seem to get close to or below 8s :(

i used to have an 04 Grand AM GT, and it didn't ever seem to be nearly that bogged down by a little higher temperature, but that did a 6.8s 0-60 in the cold :). that was a very good handling car, with upgraded pads, K&N high-flow air filter and w rated Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Pole Position tires. felt much more planted and less top heavy than the g6 does. not to mention when you nailed it, it howled :)

the G6 has such a nice torquey engine (if only you could hear it!). as was said earlier, the pull in 3rd gear on the highway is fantastic. if only the transmission didn't fool around so much when its in manual mode under normal driving conditions, i wouldn't care much about its top heavy-ness - haha

·
Kash
19 Posts
hey to all u guys that think u have more then 230 hp to the wheels ur deff 100 percent wrong unless u got shit under the hood u dont have anything more then 220 i have the 2008 g6 gxp and only have 220 to the wheels and 202 trq and thats bone stock so u guys better think agian about hypeing up ur g6

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah I heard that the old 05-06 engines were a little quicker than the 07+, but that doesn't make sense becasue they have less torque and horses.

·
Decepticon Extraordinaire
5,348 Posts
hey to all u guys that think u have more then 230 hp to the wheels ur deff 100 percent wrong unless u got shit under the hood u dont have anything more then 220 i have the 2008 g6 gxp and only have 220 to the wheels and 202 trq and thats bone stock so u guys better think agian about hypeing up ur g6

what hype? I didnt see anything unusual in the posts....

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
The only thing unusual is that his sentence passes for English.

·
Registered
142 Posts
LOL!!! He is probably talking about hp at the wheels. He needs to know that the thread is at the crank cause not everyone got their car dynoed!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
ive got an 07 gt. i tested out my 0-60 the other day and i had a friend in the passenger seat time it on his phone. i figured i would get a more honest time that way. it was around 60-65 degrees out and i ran it in 7.1. ive got the cai, exhaust, e3 plugs, msd wires, ecu tune, all royal purple fluids and i dont remember the name of the tires i have but i know i bought 3 and an alignment got the 4th tire free and it cost damn near 1200 bucks so im guessing theyre good tires. ive never run my car in the quarter bc the only quarter mile track in tx is in ennis and thats almost 2 hours from me. but in the 1/8 im runnin 10.4 on average at 71mph. fastest ive run was 10.18 at 74mph.

My goal is to get it to run under 10 seconds in the 1/8. ive been checking out a chip from jet performance that ads like 11hp at the wheels i think (dont quote me on that). but its gotta pretty price tag of roughly $350. do you guys think that'll do the trick? or any other mods that could help me reach my goal with out spending that much money? im tired of double digits popping up after i cross the finish line lol

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
Well considering you paid $1200 for tires you don't remember the name of and now you're looking into perfmance chips, it sounds like you're serious about your G6. I posted this in another thread but I think this willl help you acheive your 1/8 mile goal :bravo::

http://www.daleholley.com/nissan.htm

·
Registered
441 Posts
I know this is an old post but I've been trying to do some research (My friend works at Gateway International in St. Louis and I'm going this fall) and was trying to get a decent benchmark for what to expect. There is some random BS flying through this thread and I couldn't keep my mouth shut haha.

I am figuring a stock 4door G6 GT is going to run about 15 to 16 in the quarter - not bad for a family sedan - and thus my goal is 15.5 or below. For those people talking about temperature differences and using or not using the traction control or even those who report the K&N airbox will increase your speed - I'm suuuure you take those into consideration and change your throttle body accordingly to ensure your vehicle isn't running rich or lean.... Oh wait, I doubt anyone did that.

Yes from 30 deg F to 100 def F is a HUGE difference and will cause an increase in time but from lets say 80 during the day or 60 at night, the 'power difference' will be there, but minimal. Our minds have a funny way of making gains 'feel' larger. Traction Control - what does it do? It retards the engine when a slip is noticed sooo - if you mash it from a stop your tires will slip, when they slip your engine 'turns down a notch' to allow you to gain traction and THEN kicks back into gear. Since the hp to torque (stock) is the same it will be very, very hard to 'burnout' more than a few feet (if you roll slowly backwards down a hill and then slam from N to D (ooouch transmission) you could pull off a small cloud) and then include that the engine isnt working at 100% - no kidding your time will be worse.

nckash055 - you said if we think we have more than 220 HP to get checked, and I agree but your 2008 GXP that you 'know cuz I got dynoed' was 220, if you have the 6 its 252 stock and the 8 is 303, your missing out on some horses. Even if that was loss from crank to wheels (the 252 to 220) thats 32 horses lost...

To the individual who said they removed 300 lbs off the car, please don't think you did much. Every 100 lbs correlates to roughly .1 second off your quarter mile time so you effectively removed .3 seconds off your quarter mile. Don't get me wrong, you did some work to your car, anyone can respect that, but if your really worried about shaving weight go with some lighter weight rims rather than gutting your trunk and interior :)

Long story short I'm going to be spending the day there with a few buddies, were going to run my car stock (unless I have exhaust by that time) then with intake and under different temperature conditions (morning, noon, early evening, night) and all the 'what ifs'

·
Fried like a Cheese Stick
1,035 Posts
I wish you Great Success at the track and you certainly have an exhaustive amount of info, but your comment about the "32 horses lost" tells me you're completely unfamiliar with crank vs. wheel hp :banghead:, so I'm not sure what to make of the rest of your fun facts...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts