Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried to trade their G6 and found that it is worth nearly nothing? I went to trade a 2006 V6 which stickered at $22,600. I had 9k miles on it and 3 dealers offered $12,000-13,000 and one said $15,000.

The weird thing is.....a 2005 with the same options and mileage is worth at least $15,000 according to KBB and NADA. I would be curious to hear what 2005 owners are getting on their trades.

FYI - I was looking to trade up to a GTP.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I've talked with 5 dealerships, the most I've been offered was $16500 for a 2005 G6 GT with 7000 miles on it. The lowest offer was $15000. This red tag sale and all the rebates are killing those of us that already own a G6. My sticker price was $27500. I had also heard somewhere that GM was lowering the price on the G6 in 2006. Could be a rumor though. From what I've read from other posts, you just got to get to the right dealership, which I have not found in Tennessee. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I could be wrong, but I don't think the trade-in deficit stops at the G.

Actually, I know it doesn't. When I traded for the G in August I got beat by a couple thousand by what "the books" say I should've gotten.

Like someone else posted - with car makers dropping the prices, whether it be red-tag, employee pricing, whatever, trades values fall as well.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Offered between 15 and 17K at various times/places. Most recently was 15,500.00.

Buyout is 20K now..so I have a long ways to go.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Well, with this Red Tag sale going on, a brand new G6 V6 with nothing but standard options goes for 17,561 in comparison to the 20,000 something they wanted without rebates or incentives.

Might have to bite the bullet on this one a little bit, sadly.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Granted I only paid $19,495 + tax for the V6 model with side airbags, remotestart, abs/tc, and spoiler as options. I still think it should be worth more than $15,000 after 5 months.

your average joe that doesn't get GMS pricing would be tickeled to pick up a slightly used car at $18,000 when the new one stickers at 22K+.

My dealer told me that 60% of their customers qualify for GMS. That leaves 40% that have to pay sticker and they tell me they can't move slightly used cars that are $4000 under MSRP before taxes.

Oh well.....like you all have said...that red tag F's everything up :mad:

·
Registered
532 Posts
$19,495 + tax for the V6 model with side airbags, remotestart, abs/tc, and spoiler as options.

Try
$24,000 + tax for the V6 Model with Remote start.

That trade in value hurts everyone..just not equally. :(

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
S8ER99 said:
$19,495 + tax for the V6 model with side airbags, remotestart, abs/tc, and spoiler as options.

Try
$24,000 + tax for the V6 Model with Remote start.

That trade in value hurts everyone..just not equally. :(
:eek: You could have bought a base GTP at that price!
I feel your pain :mad:

·
Registered
122 Posts
unfortunately a car loses value as soon as you sign the papers. The reasoning is you have use of the car for a certain lenght of time. My friends 05 acura (37500 plus tax) can be traded for 29000 (blue book) which means dealer about 27000 or so. My 05 GT with 5555 miles on it I got 18000 for a trade for a 06 GTP. you never come out even or make money-the deal is --how much are you wiling to lose to et a newer car!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
The trouble is I have to con someone into giving me at least enough to dig out from under the negative equity. That amount would be for a used car with miles at a price close to what they could buy a brand new one for off the lot. Not an easy feat. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
The issue is the deals that are out there. I picked up a leftover 05 G6 GT that stickered for about $25,500 for $16,700 brand new ($19,500 for the car-$800 GM card rebate points-$2000 Special finance offer I got in the mail from GMAC). The finance offer was for GM to make the first two payments up to $1000 each. How it played out was I took a 12 month loan for $12000. I got the first statement and GM deducted the $2000 from it. I then sent a check for the balance (I did have $38 in interest for the first month.

I picked up my car the day after thanksgiving. A local dealer is now offering the identical 05 GT for $18,995 which is below cost to move it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The sticker on my '06 GTP sedan was $29,855. I bought it in September. I desperately wanted a Charger or Mustang, so I went to 4 different dealerships, and the highest anyone would go on the trade was $18,000. So, in less than three months (and only 2,500 miles) the car lost nearly $12,000 in value. Some places were only offering me $15K on the trade. Granted, I payed about $4,000 less than sticker, but thats still adds up to almost a 40% loss of value in a few short months.

Luckily I owe $13,700, so I'm not upside down. I just thought I'd be farther in the black than I am.

Abysmal.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah everyone talks about how much you lose when you drive off a new vehicle off the lot..but its nowhere near what we have lost.

·
Registered
122 Posts
guys-you have to figure how much you paid out of pocket-not what you paid for car-that only applies if you paid cash - i got 18000 for the 05 g6 gt with a high interest loan - i got the 06 g6 gtp with the red tag sale - taking my downpayment-each loan payment -less trade an loan rate of 3.9% i will lose about 1500 total at end of new loan--but i got a 06 gtp

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Buick61 said:
The sticker on my '06 GTP sedan was $29,855. I bought it in September. I desperately wanted a Charger or Mustang, so I went to 4 different dealerships, and the highest anyone would go on the trade was $18,000. So, in less than three months (and only 2,500 miles) the car lost nearly $12,000 in value. Some places were only offering me $15K on the trade. Granted, I payed about $4,000 less than sticker, but thats still adds up to almost a 40% loss of value in a few short months.

Luckily I owe $13,700, so I'm not upside down. I just thought I'd be farther in the black than I am.

Abysmal.

You can pretty much expect to lose 35-40% of your hard earned money just for the opportunity of "owning" a G6 for less than 6mo. Even if you bought it and never drove it off the lot....they don't want that sucker back.

I would be interested to see what an insurance co. would pay if the car were totaled shortly after purchase. My guess is that you would get just enough back to buy a cobalt or something similar.

·
Registered
16 Posts
G6~Mike said:
You can pretty much expect to lose 35-40% of your hard earned money just for the opportunity of "owning" a G6 for less than 6mo. Even if you bought it and never drove it off the lot....they don't want that sucker back.

I would be interested to see what an insurance co. would pay if the car were totaled shortly after purchase. My guess is that you would get just enough back to buy a cobalt or something similar.
Thats why gap insurance is almost a must on any car today unless you have a significant down payment.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts