Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Trailer hitch for 2007 G6 Convertible

13K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  stalwart03 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a recommendation on how to install a trailer hitch on a 2007 G6 hardtop convertible? I would like to install a hitch for a bike rake but it looks like you have to cut a hole through the lower bumber wrap around. Has anyone done this? Can you recommend a place to have it done?

#3 ·
Did this get solved? I am this close to picking up a G6 Cv, but what is killing me is how to haul my bikes and skis.
I've searched a bit and found hitches that list ex Convertible. I may have to get one and fab some adaptions?
I'd be interested to hear your solution.

#7 ·
I have an installer that thinks a Hidden Hitch 90159 Class II will fit. It may take some modification to the hitch or frame to work around the twin exhuast and the muffler. I will find out next week if it will work. I definitely do not plan on towing anything with the hitch and only use it for a bike carrier.

#8 ·
buddy of mine has a trailer hitch on his G6, I dont think they had to modify/cut the frame or anything. Maybe drill a few holes but thats about it, looks neat

#9 ·
The Hidden Hitch 90159 Class II hitch fits perfect. All you have to do is drill 4 holes in the frame and bolt it on. It tucks up under the rear bumper so you only see the reciever. You can put on a Thule 4 bike rack and still open and close the convertible top with out the trunk lid hitting the rack. I would not try towing with the hitch but for a bike rack it is great.

#11 · (Edited)
Hitch installed

I installed a Drawtite 36426 on Sunday. I picked this over the Hidden Hitch 90159 as Draw-tite owns Hidden Hitch and upon inspection they look remarkably similar, and less money. I got it from etrailer.com, which I recommend, for the pricing and helpful videos and stuff. The install was fairly straightforward, the difficulty being that the bolts and plates you fish through the frame have a tendency to turn a bit and get jammed in the frame. Have a few long screw drivers and a flashlight available, as you may have to guide them a bit, watch for them from under the bumper. You get to drill 4 holes in the frame, just make sure that you make them big enough to fit the bolts, and the fish wire. No external modifications are needed.
The hitch looks like a small hitch sticking out beneath the car, maybe 1/8” below the fascia, and maybe ½ below the exhaust tips. (I’ve got a picture in gallery, but I’m not yet advanced enough to add it to a post). I’ve measured up and am going to get a Thule 970XT, which should hug pretty close to the car and is one of the lighter Thule products. I won’t have that for a week or so.
edit: on some steep driveways, you may drag the hitch. More noise than anything.

While the listings don’t reflect a hitch for a CNV, I think that is a liability matter, as they want to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations. I will let you know what happens when I get the rack.
As with any post that involves anything beyond putting gas in the car, use all information at your own risk, YMMV, use your own good judgment as needed, I accept no liability or responsibility for modification to your car.

edit: used a Thule 971XT, it holds the bikes a little higher than the 970XT, Thule has a chart for this. The bikes seemed a bit back from the car, so I drilled a hole about 3.5" forward of the first and that worked out great.
No problems, it's been working great.
Pics in Gallery

Cheers!

#12 ·
Sorry to resurrect this, but does anyone know if the hitches listed would also work on the 2009 convertible, or if there is any other option that has come about in the last few years that fit the convertible? I haven't had any luck in my searching and being away from home for an extended amount of time for work, don't have the tools needed to be drilling holes. I don't know if I could talk a garage into doing the installation or find someone nearby that would let me use their tools some weekend. Like the OP, I just want this for a bike rack.

Thanks!

#15 ·
Why not tow anything? I was thinking of installing one on my 08 convertible so I could tow a kayak trailer. I don't think putting them on the roof with foam blocks is recommended, so if I wanted to do something other than strap one inside the car with top down I would have to go with a trailer.

#16 ·
I honestly can't think of a good reason to run away from light towing.
Power - no problem
Cooling - same cooling as cpe and sdn, so no problem
Trans cooling - kinda weak in these cars, but adequate for standard usage.
Brakes - cnv usually a GT, no problem here.

I can only think that the no tow is the result of unknown liability from unknown consequences at time of production and this was slapped on by legal. I am no fool, cnv has a modified body structure, BUT also has bracing. Tow forces could put undue stress across the body structure if overloaded.
I've towed my pop up trailer in town - 1000#, not so bad. I wouldn't want to pull it 50 miles, especially in our mountains.
I don't know what a kayak trailer weighs, but I can guess south of 1000# easy.
In the end, it's up to you. I'd also thin that the cpe trailer wiring would be the ticket for plug and play.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#18 ·
So I'd be good getting a kayak trailer and hauling a kayak or 2? Today I went kayaking and loaded it inside the car with top down. It worked for myself and my dog (though she was cramped), but if we would have gotten a pop up shower I would have been #$%^ and it meant having to clean the interior when I got home. I tried to drag/drop image but it didn't work.

#21 ·
Hi folks,

This is an old thread, but I see a number of you have successfully installed a trailer hitch on your G6 convertible. Mine is a 2008 with the 3.9L (which also gets the beefier transmission).

I want to do some VERY light towing 500LBS or less, and use the hitch to carry bicycles mostly.

I went to the hidden hitch website and they do not have a '90159' -- perhaps no longer made?

Has anyone here installed a different hitch? Can you please share the manufacturer and model number?

Thanks in advance...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.