Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at bike racks to go on the G6 today everyplace i went they recomended putting on a trailer hitch and going that way.because trunk mount racks could eventualy crack the rear bumper.Any comments or ideas.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I got my Mom a hitch-mount bike rack for her Windstar last summer. There are different types... Reciever mount or ball-mount. I'd reccomend a reciever mount, as they're a little more solid. Of course, that will require a reciever hitch.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a price from the dealer $420.00 plus install for hitch and bike rack :eek: im going to do some shopping around

·
Registered
39 Posts
you know we don't have apple auto glass In victoria. I was looking for the lhem last summer. Just though I'd place my 2 cent in.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got a price today from a local hitch dealer for a hitch for the g6 and a 3 bike rack 409.00 installed +tax.I dont know seems like alot

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you are going to put three bikes on it make sure to get the receiver type of hitch. If you want 4 bikes you will need a 2 1/2 inch receiver (probably not available for the G6).

The only problem is that if you put bikes on the back you will need to get a riser attachment because the G6 is low to the ground. IF you don't you may bottom out goign over speed bumps with the bikes attached.

Don't get a simple trunk rack; they are bad for the paint and only hold 2 bikes safely.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, i got a trailer hitch for my G6. I paid 175CND (+the taxes). The hitch is low and also very inside the back, so i choose a bike rach that mount on the ball receiver (where u usually install the ball) so that clear the back and avoid the ball mount touches the ground. The ball mount is following the bottom bumper, this is very stylish. I'll try to make a pic this weekend to post them over here witht he bike rack. Mine is a rack for 3, but because the rack is mounted on the ball receiver, it can also accept a 4 bikes rack, but dont exceed 200 pounds!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maximacf, careful not to go anywhere near 200lbs total with 4 bikes. You are dealing with dymanic forces (your bikes are bouncing around while you drive) and the weight and stress on your top / ball mounted hitch is very high. If I understand your description, you have a type I hitch (the hitch is flat, about 3 inches wide with a hole for the ball). Those are not meant for that much dynamic weight.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts