Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we were thinking about getting one of those tent trailers but when i looked at the towing capacity i was shocked to see the capacity was 1000 lbs.Why such a low tow capacity? most tent trailers i have looked at are around 2000lbs when i was in northern ontario i saw sunfires towing trailers?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm kinda in the same boat. I want to tow my four wheeler but have yet to find someone who makes a hitch for the G6.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is a hitch for the G6 here in CANADA but the towing capacity of the car is only 1000lbs

·
Registered
108 Posts
Most cars only tow 1000lbs, if they have a tow rating at all. I believe some of this has to do with the transmission temperature, no cooler. Also the fact that towing capacity is not an issue for the majority of car buyers and is not a primary design point as it once was before the explosion of truck sales.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is based on the frame of the vehicle. Most cars and the smaller SUV's arent designed with a strong enough frame to handle the towing. If you tow more than rated it could bend or tear you chassis apart.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think you should be ok to tow a tent trailer, just dont try and take off too fast and let your speed build low as to not overheat the trans. Most class 1 hitches have a tongue weight rating of 100-200 lbs. if you have your trailer balanced properly your rear end wont sag. about 50 lbs on the tongue i think would be right.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I found two class 2 hitches that I will consider at some point (for towing a motorcycle occasionally). One is by Curt, and the other was by (I think) Draw-Tite. Found them while doing a Yahoo search on "G6 towing". About $125 and detailed install instructions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 08 G-6 with a 4 cylinder & I have to tow a pontoon boat about 2 miles twice a year , is it ok to tow with this car , the boat ramp isn't pitched a whole lot its average for a baat ramp

·
Registered
4 Posts
I regularly tow a 700# trailer with a motorcycle, total weight right around 1200 pounds. I installed a class 2 hitch, upgraded the front brake rotors and pads, and installed a trans cooler. Never had a problem.

·
Moderator Member Thingy
1,330 Posts
Typical V6 G6 weight 3450 pounds

·
Registered
6 Posts
I regularly tow a 700# trailer with a motorcycle, total weight right around 1200 pounds. I installed a class 2 hitch, upgraded the front brake rotors and pads, and installed a trans cooler. Never had a problem.
Do you notice it in temperature

·
Registered
6 Posts
car tows great took a 15 boston whaler from florida to ny and back no problem.
avg 18mpg last summer

if anyone needs a hitch i have one for you , we just got a new car..
Hey did you have any problems with towing your noston whaler dont they weigh like 1400lbs

1 - 18 of 18 Posts