Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2005 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L equipped with the 4-speed auto w manual mode.

According to the owners manual, changing or checking the transmission fluid in this car is not needed (so much so that there’s not even a dipstick).

but I know it has to be changed eventually. I got this car with 168k miles and I’m now sitting at 188k, and I’d really hate to see this transmission ever give out on me (its doing amazing atm)

my question is, what is the best way to change the trans fluid? Should I drop the pan to release the old fluid, then fill up through the top until the fluid starts dripping From the check hole, or is there a better (less messy) way to do this? Should I do it when the trans fluid is warm or cold?
Thank you in advance !!

·
Super Moderator
4,107 Posts
Yup that’s how you do it. Drain cold. Fill until drips out. Start and run vehicle. Let it warms up. Run through gears. Top off while cars still running.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Dropping the pan and changing the transmission fluid is a much better and safer (but messier) way than running it through a high pressure coolant flush and filter machine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey guys came here to ask this too. Anyone ever use a flushing additive you add then run car in lift for ten min before draining?

I have an 05 with 180k miles and am wanting to do a change as well.

seems like half the people on the internet advice not changing it at this point and leaving it alone. Scares it will disrupt sediments and actually start problems with the transmission? Any one have any thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys came here to ask this too. Anyone ever use a flushing additive you add then run car in lift for ten min before draining?

I have an 05 with 180k miles and am wanting to do a change as well.

seems like half the people on the internet advice not changing it at this point and leaving it alone. Scares it will disrupt sediments and actually start problems with the transmission? Any one have any thoughts?
@waterfowler76 I have the same question as WM05pontiac here. Do you think it is okay to change the fluid at 188k? I've never changed the fluid myself and got it at 168k and I have no idea if it has been changed before (my guess it has). My transmission runs wonderfully so I really don't want to f it up

·
Registered
476 Posts
It totally depends on whether the fluid has been changed before or not. If it has then it's advisable to change it again at 188k. If not, then it could be risky to do your first fluid change at such high mileage. Maybe do a test and just change half the fluid and see if everything is still running perfect?

@waterfowler76 I have the same question as WM05pontiac here. Do you think it is okay to change the fluid at 188k? I've never changed the fluid myself and got it at 168k and I have no idea if it has been changed before (my guess it has). My transmission runs wonderfully so I really don't want to f it up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It totally depends on whether the fluid has been changed before or not. If it has then it's advisable to change it again at 188k. If not, then it could be risky to do your first fluid change at such high mileage. Maybe do a test and just change half the fluid and see if everything is still running perfect?
Thank you. I just checked my fluid using the check plug and thank the lord it comes out still red in color 😍 I will be changing my fluid and filter soon but I might hold off for a while after realizing my fluid is in great shape

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I just did the change. The fluid was pretty brown. Well I went to fill it and we’ll I have 3 gallons in it and it’s still not dripping out the full port. Do I need to start it and let it warm up?

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I just did the change. The fluid was pretty brown. Well I went to fill it and we’ll I have 3 gallons in it and it’s still not dripping out the full port. Do I need to start it and let it warm up?
Have the motor running while you're filling it and the check plug out. It will eventually overflow. Good luck !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have the motor running while you're filling it and the check plug out. It will eventually overflow. Good luck !
Yes and knowledge for EVERYONE, the correct plug is directly right to the location where the passenger side axle leaves the transmission. Pull it out with the car level. Keep in mind the car must be running the entire time this check plug is out.

Do NOT make the mistake of accidentally pulling the plug towards the front of the car. You will be in for a surprise if your car is running (don’t do it). the correct check plug location is described in paragraph 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts