Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 G6 GTP and the transmission just started messing up. The car has 87,000 miles on it and this should not be happening. First off, when you put it into drive it is just like putting it into neutral. It doesn't kick into gear or anything unless I put it into the manual shift position. In first gear it seems like it is slipping really bad, but sometimes it with jutter real bad. When it is shifted to 2nd it is fine most of the time, with an occasional slip. Then third and fourth gear is fine! I took it to a Tranny shop and was told it was the I internal sprag. Has anyone ever had this problem? Or heard of an internal sprag? Please help me!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Yes, the transmission does have sprags, it's a one way clutch sorta, turns one way and not the other. Looks like they have seem this before.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The 4T45-E & 4T65-E both use sprag clutches.

Got an estimate or find out the codes that popped?

You may want a second opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The estimate we got was $1800-$2000 to fix it. And what do you mean codes that have popped? The check engine light isn't on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I found out tonight that if I manually shift it until it is outta first gear, then switch it back into drive, it seems to work fine.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The estimate we got was $1800-$2000 to fix it.
I know tranny teardowns are expensive but sheesh. I would definitely want more than one opinion before I dumped that much into it. I guess the '06 did not come with the 5 yr/100mi powertrain warranty. I wonder if it's still possible to get an extended GM warranty at this point. I really don't know what kind of inspection they do prior to writing one but maybe someone else can tell you.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
And what do you mean codes that have popped? The check engine light isn't on.
No idea how basic you want this but here goes:
Trannys are now completely under computer-control. The computer checks most circuits for problems & sets codes when problems are found. Codes (aka DTC's or diagnostic trouble codes) are absolutely essential for diagnosis on any car made since '96. The newer the car, the more circuits are being checked by the car's computers & the more useful the codes have become. Most tranny codes will not light the CEL/MIL so you wont know they are set without looking for them. I would want to know what codes, if any, have been set in the computer. With that information a shop will have a lot harder time selling you a bill of goods. The tranny shops can read the codes but you have to ask them to tell you what they found. If you get the exact codes (write them down, don't rely on memory) report back here with them. You can get your own scan tool that will read all the codes your car can produce for a couple hundred bucks now. And it can do a lot more than simply read codes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts