Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Pontiac g6 with 217k miles. Just a few days ago I was driving and everything was fine. Suddenly I couldn't shift into 3rd or 4th gear. I drove about another 30 miles to get home with it only shifting to 2nd gear. Sometimes it has trouble shifting into first gear and sometimes the transmission will just suddenly slip and I won't get anything. Like I said this all happened suddenly didn't have a single problem before. I scanned it and it says shift solenoid B stuck on. Would I be wasting my time opening it up and replacing the solenoids? Hoping to get at least another few months out of it until I can save some money up for a new vehicle. Never had the transmission fluid changed if that matters.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Personally I do believe the transmission fluid change matters. If it were me I would try adding some Seafoam Trans Tune to see if I could get rid of any build up that might help the transmission solenoids do their work. I would change the transmission fluid and filter a few days later (having run the car to give the trans tune time to circulate). I would see if that improves anything as it is probably the lowest effort / cost. If it worked I would probably change the fluid again (as you get less than half out with a drain and refill). If it didn't I would look at the cost / effort to change the solenoid.

Hope you get it sorted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also am in the school of changing the trans fluid every 30-40k. It should remain red throughout the service life. At this point I would say the color of the fluid you find when you change it will tell you everything you need to know about the state of the trans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also am in the school of changing the trans fluid every 30-40k. It should remain red throughout the service life. At this point I would say the color of the fluid you find when you change it will tell you everything you need to know about the state of the trans.
Already dropped the pan. Fluid is definitely a darker brown color. Smells like like crayons lol. Didn't see any bigger metal pieces just the really fine pieces on the magnet.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Looking a little past it's best :(
When you see the colour of the new Dexron VI fluid you will note the difference. Hope the fluid and filter change helps. And remember that a lot of the fluid is still in the torque converter, so what you will be doing with the first change is diluting the old poor fluid with some that is better and newer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking a little past it's best :(
When you see the colour of the new Dexron VI fluid you will note the difference. Hope the fluid and filter change helps. And remember that a lot of the fluid is still in the torque converter, so what you will be doing with the first change is diluting the old poor fluid with some that is better and newer.
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and change all 3 solenoids that I'm able to reach without dropping the transmission. Just gonna hope for the best. Hopefully I can get at least another few months out of it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone know the best way to get a stuck cv shaft out of the transmission? I've been using a crow bar and hammering at it but it's hard to really get a good angle because the frame seems to be in the way..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I got the two shift solenoids out. The very top one (first one I took out) ended up pretty much falling apart as I was taking it out so I'm not able to test it. The second solenoid reads about 6.4 on the multimeter. This would indicate that it is bad correct?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Already dropped the pan. Fluid is definitely a darker brown color. Smells like like crayons lol. Didn't see any bigger metal pieces just the really fine pieces on the magnet.

That color is actually not the worst I have seen. You may still get a little more life out of this trans with the solenoids replaced.

·
2007 G6 'vert
21 Posts
It should be roughly the same as the new one. What does the new one read?
It's a lot of work to get to that solenoid, I think they are only around $15-$20 each. I would not even put the old one back and risk it failing in a short order. It is the same age as the one that fell apart and plastic in hot oil can get brittle over time..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts