Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac GT G6 Hardtop Convertible
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I own a 2008 GT G6 3.9 hardtop Convertible, and I’m having transmission issues. I no longer can drive the car due to the horrible shaking that occurs to the steering wheel while driving. I live in Vero Beach, Fl and would appreciate any recommendations for a transmission technician.

Jess

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac G6 GXP, 3.6L V6 sedan
80 Posts
Shaking to the steering should not come from the Transmision. The intermediate Steering shaft should be looked at. The Sway bar links should be looked at, and any other suspension parts that might need to be looked at causing the steering to shake. Hub Assembly, etc. should be looked at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shaking to the steering should not come from the Transmision. The intermediate Steering shaft should be looked at. The Sway bar links should be looked at, and any other suspension parts that might need to be looked at causing the steering to shake. Hub Assembly, etc. should be looked at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply, I’ll definitely have those things checked out! Last mechanic I took the vehicle to said it was the transmission and I was devastated thinking of the thousands it would cost to fix. He indicated those transmissions don’t exist anymore and they can only be rebuilt 😑

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Change mechanics. You can always find a used transmission. But get those checked before you start messing with the Trany.
I’ll definitely change mechanic, I’m beyond frustrated. I just installed new rack and pinion & motor mounts. I can go on and on. I’ve done so much work to the car restoring it. I fix one thing and something else starts to act up 😑

·
Registered
42 Posts
I’ll definitely change mechanic, I’m beyond frustrated. I just installed new rack and pinion & motor mounts. I can go on and on. I’ve done so much work to the car restoring it. I fix one thing and something else starts to act up 😑
welcome to the world of iconic car owners....😊. But definitely change Mech's, they're out to get your $$

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello everyone!
I own a 2008 GT G6 3.9 hardtop Convertible, and I’m having transmission issues. I no longer can drive the car due to the horrible shaking that occurs to the steering wheel while driving. I live in Vero Beach, Fl and would appreciate any recommendations for a transmission technician.

Jess
welcome to the world of iconic car owners....😊. But definitely change Mech's, they're out to get your $$
Thank you for the warm welcome 😊…..This is my first restoration, some days I regret it and others days I’m proud of the progression. It can be frustrating and quite expensive since I’m not mechanically inclined. However I have learned a lot during this process. It’s not easy finding a knowledgeable mechanic. All I hear is the car is very labor intensive and I should find a Classic Car Mechanic 😑….how am I supposed to find one of those?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I hate to say this but the people that have serviced your car are out to take advantage of you. While a G6 GT is a cool car it is in no way a classic car. Any competent mechanic would have serviced thousands of these cars by now. There's nothing special or exotic about them. I suggest you go shopping for a new shop with either a trusted friend or relative along with you as these former places seem to be taking advantage of your gender. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hate to say this but the people that have serviced your car are out to take advantage of you. While a G6 GT is a cool car it is in no way a classic car. Any competent mechanic would have serviced thousands of these cars by now. There's nothing special or exotic about them. I suggest you go shopping for a new shop with either a trusted friend or relative along with you as these former places seem to be taking advantage of your gender. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply! I agree with you! I’ve stopped any further work on the car due to feeling taken advantage of due to my gender and lack of knowledge. Actually thought of selling the car at this😔…I really don’t have anyone who can help me or guide me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It the transmission I'm have the same problem on my 08 re did the front like a dum ass cost 800 in parts. still shakes. Looked at the cv Axl on the passenger side and I can move it up and down on the transmission side so this is probably what happened to u.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It the transmission I'm have the same problem on my 08 re did the front like a dum ass cost 800 in parts. still shakes. Looked at the cv Axl on the passenger side and I can move it up and down on the transmission side so this is probably what happened to u.
You’re having the same issues as well 😡…ugh….I found a new mechanic and having everything everyone posted checked out. Don’t know what to do if it’s the transmission. I don’t want to keep dumping money into the car anymore 🙁

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got 4g in mine but it mine so that always a plus. I suggest getting it to a transmission shop they should do the job right. Do some research for the area.if you go that route.also that original shop you took it to sounds like a good shop. Ask questions have them show you why they need to fix it. A good shop wants return customers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wife drives a 2006 G6 3.9 GTP and was having a similar issue. But hers was only happening when she drove above 20-25 mph. It ended up being her front passenger-side wheel was out of balance. YMMV but maybe something else to check out. Good luck.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got 4g in mine but it mine so that always a plus. I suggest getting it to a transmission shop they should do the job right. Do some research for the area.if you go that route.also that original shop you took it to sounds like a good shop. Ask questions have them show you why they need to fix it. A good shop wants return customers.
I’m going to check out some transmission shops, hopefully I won’t be too shocked 😳! The only thing left to fix is Transmission, everything else under the hood has been replaced or fixed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts