Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 08 GT stutters at 35-45mph with light acceleration. Dealer said it was a spark plug of all things! I read one thread on here, but has anyone actually gotten this fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
My wife's 08 GT stutters at 35-45mph with light acceleration. Dealer said it was a spark plug of all things! I read one thread on here, but has anyone actually gotten this fixed? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
There are a lot of possibilities.

No check engine lamp or codes?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No light, dealer said miss fire and cause was a spark plug. I changed the plug just to prove them wrong and I did since there was no change. They said bring it back and we'll do it, like I don't know how to change a plug! I really think it's because they don't make Pontiac anymore and don't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I really think it's because they don't make Pontiac anymore and don't want to deal with it.[/QUOTE said:
Not true, they want you happy so you will buy another GM product. I saw an ad wanting all Pontiac owner to look at Chevy.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
No light, dealer said miss fire and cause was a spark plug. I changed the plug just to prove them wrong and I did since there was no change.
I am assuming the dealer mechanic looked at the misfire data & saw a problem. On what basis he decided it was due to a spark plug I don't know. I have absolutely nothing to base even a wild guess on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, I've got a 2008 3.5 liter G6 coupe with only 28K miles on it and it had this problem. It turns out to be the torque converter lock up clutch. Once the dealership dropped the transmission pan they found clutch material all through the ATF. As the clutch plates in the transmission were all good, the only remaining possiblity was the lock up clutch.

They put in a GM reman torque converter, new turbine shaft seals (which can also cause this problem) and it feels great. It was covered under the powertrain warrantly which was good. The job would probably has cost $2K to $3k otherewise. Nearly 20 hours of labor is required.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks benrumson2, I'll look into that. I just changed the oil yesterday and noticed the drivers side output seal is leaking, so I'll have them look into that also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts