Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a liner or carpet material on the underside of their trunk lid? I noticed my parents 05 Malibu has one, but not my G6. I could make one I guess, but wondered if any came equipped with them and how it looked. Another op for customization, bring on the band-aids!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Trunk Lid Inner Liner

While at the autoshow earlier this year I noticed that the Saturn Aura had such a cover. it was a lighter gray than the one found in the G6. Since the trunk lid itself is the same it should fit. I have not checked the part department yet, since the Aura just hit the streets. Give it a few months then go to a GM parts dept and order one.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I never really looked at the underside of my trunk lid. Why would I want to put carpet there? I try never to walk on the underside of my trunk lid because the owner's manual clearly states that this will void the warranty.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
mphred said:
I never really looked at the underside of my trunk lid. Why would I want to put carpet there? I try never to walk on the underside of my trunk lid because the owner's manual clearly states that this will void the warranty.
Just a nice touch, maybe some sound deadening. They once had them for sale for GA's on PFYC.com. My parents' Malibu has it, just another one of those things that dad points out and adds that I paid alot more to have the Pontiac that is "supposed to be" higher in quality. I don't want to tell him I wanted a sportier looking car and that the Malibu just isn't me. He also has tap shift, and nicer door panels, but no fog lights.

I think I'll try to make one, it's an easy first stab at learning custom upholstery. I've had some ideas for the door panels and this could give me some practice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Re: Trunklid Liner

The trunk lid even slightly different, which I think is minimal, would not make a difference. The liner does not go to the edge of the trunklid.

Like most modern cars not many interior trim is bolted on. From what I can recall it is fastened to the under side of the trunklid by plastic clips.

IMO it would add to the look of the car. I always felt the bare underside of the trunklid made the car look cheap. along with that the paint job there is not that great either.

Just putting a piece of carpet would not suffice. The liner had some rigidity and thickness to it. Some insulation must be included.

I will research further.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dplotta said:
The trunk lid even slightly different, which I think is minimal, would not make a difference. The liner does not go to the edge of the trunklid.

Like most modern cars not many interior trim is bolted on. From what I can recall it is fastened to the under side of the trunklid by plastic clips.

IMO it would add to the look of the car. I always felt the bare underside of the trunklid made the car look cheap. along with that the paint job there is not that great either.

Just putting a piece of carpet would not suffice. The liner had some rigidity and thickness to it. Some insulation must be included.

I will research further.
Yes, I was thinking of starting with cardboard to get the shape right, whether to do just the underside of the horizontal part or down the verticle part of the lid too (like the Malibu). When I get a shape I like I'll move to that thin fiber type board (not sure exactly what they call it). I'd like to find a cloth material similar to what's on the celing of my car, but that might be difficult. As a last resort or for trial I could use that replacement ceiling material they sell at auto stores, I don't like it as much but it includes the foam material and would be easy. I had some thoughts of a custom emblem carved from foam for some interest. I saw a how-to show on replacing a drooping headliner, as long as I keep it simple it should be fine, if not I just won't put it in. Planning on using plastic push-on clips like the door panels to attach it.

Found this link to give others an idea of what I'm thinking of, but a simplilar design-
http://www.carmotorsports.com/Trunk_Lid_Cover.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.