Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
On my top systems were the same, latches release, pump fires, and pump sounds good. I looked the system over, didn't see much to grouse about. I spoke to one of my coworkers in the shop who has a Snap-On scanner, (Not that autozone stuff).
The car had code b3336,

Left front latch not passing test.
See, the car unlatches the deck, primes the pump then asks for clearance. If a latch reports back that it is still engaged, the pump will not process the fluid command, as a stuck down trunk could get pretty damaged by the rams.
I verified latches releasing, good start, and looked for a way to bypass the sensors that report the news to the BCM. Basically I wanted to confirm everything else was okay.

During my search to figure out a bypass, I found one pinched/broken wire, two creased, one okay. I tape twisted them as a test, and it turned out good.
I used some proper sealing connectors and routed the harnes in an exact mirror image of the right.
Working good so far!

I suppose you could do a very thorough wiring inspection up by those hinges as a good start. I reckon that the 5 minute scan saved me a ton of time and money
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
Well, I have an edge, he's an employee and I work for a dealership. I also had to buy his lunch
I really tried to figure this out manually, but with the host of sensors, it seems that the only way to quickly work through a top issue is to scan for codes. They won't light on the dash, as they are BCM, not ECM so you have to scan for them differently and I don't think the AutoZone, and other low lines have the capability.
Sure, the first thing is to religiously inspect the wiring, then if no dice, get thee to a very good shop or dealership to run the codes.
I suspect if I had inch by inch looked I could have found my break, or I could have done a lot of trial and error, but the scan definitely pointed me in a direction.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
That's good news! sorta.
On the lh side, there was extra harness to pull up to allow the repair. If possible, you want to stagger your repairs, so you don't have a huge splice blob to try to tuck in the small space you have to work with, and for higher current circuits, it keeps heat down. I used shrink connector Napa #725226. You strip your wires, place the wires in each end, mingle the strands and heat. The solder melts between the strands for a clean low resistance connection. I used the fireplace lighter.
I took numerous photos before and kept an eye on the other side to best replicate the routing.
After, I cycled the top with numerous stops to confirm clearance. There isn't much. I have no idea how these wires became damaged!
Anyway, it all worked out okay.
I hope that this helps!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
406 Posts
You can check the fluid, on the right side of the trunk behind the panel is the motor/pump/reservoir. There is a min/max line. Check there. If below minimum, pretty good sign of leaking hydraulic lift.
This one is a little perplexing.
Unfortunately with these tops the tech2 scan tool or snapon equivalent are the only way I know to run a body code and function test, and unless you have a smoking gun, may be the best way to determine what's not doing the job.


Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top