Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you've had to fill the hydraulic reservoir, then you have a leak somewhere (as you already suspect). If you have a leak, then pressure is already released and you (with a helper) should be able to lift the top out of the trunk and manually secure in the closed position. You'll then need to go through the troubleshooting steps of finding the leak. Leaking main hydraulic rams is common. Look and feel each main ram.
i found the relief allen screw on the pump, i backed it out until i felt resistance and stopped turning. is that enough or should i completely remove the screw? once pressure is relieved can the top be manually raised without disconnecting the rams? i bought this for a work car so when i get the top up it's staying up! THANKS

·
Registered
2 Posts
You do not have to remove the screw. Assuming the trunk is in the reverse open position a couple of you should be able to lift the top out and over into the closed position. Another option is to ensure you have enough fluid in the reservoir (Pentosin CHF11F) and go for what I would term a hydraulic assist. This depends on where the leak is and how bad. After putting the allen screw back to normal, one person works the button and two of you, being careful not to trap or lose any body parts, lift the top out and over into the closed position and let the hydraulics do the rest. If it is leaking badly then this will not work as you will be unable to build pressure. Hope you get it closed and drivable again.
Thanks for the reply. My deck lid never attempted to open backwards so I opened it the regular direction and removed it. the top was still latched at the front and held by the rear latch/hinge. In the front I pulled some pins that released the latches. At the rear I disconnected the cylinder attached to the latch/hinge then pivoted that out of the way releasing the rear of the top assembly. I then disconnected the cylinders the would raise the top. I was able to raise the top by myself then manually latch it. I didn't bother to reconnect the cylinders except the latch/hinge jut to keep it from moving. I don't plan on ever putting the top down again so it should fine. Hopefully this will of help to someone in the same position I was.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts