Pontiac G6 Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My deck lid never attempted to open backwards so I opened it the regular direction and removed it. the top was still latched at the front and held by the rear latch/hinge. In the front I pulled some pins that released the latches. At the rear I disconnected the cylinder attached to the latch/hinge then pivoted that out of the way releasing the rear of the top assembly. I then disconnected the cylinders the would raise the top. I was able to raise the top by myself then manually latch it. I didn't bother to reconnect the cylinders except the latch/hinge jut to keep it from moving. I don't plan on ever putting the top down again so it should fine. Hopefully this will of help to someone in the same position I was.
Hi I wonder if you can explain or even take pictures of the cylinder or latches you disconnected. That would be super helpful . I have tried lifting the top manually and it doesn’t move at all I loosened up the hydraulic pressure screw and I have a leak of fluid in the pump so I would think that it would be okay to just lift but I was totally wrong. It’s supper hard and I don’t know what to do, because winter and rain is coming and my top is down. Please help .
thank you

·
Registered
70 Posts
Hi I wonder if you can explain or even take pictures of the cylinder or latches you disconnected. That would be super helpful . I have tried lifting the top manually and it doesn’t move at all I loosened up the hydraulic pressure screw and I have a leak of fluid in the pump so I would think that it would be okay to just lift but I was totally wrong. It’s supper hard and I don’t know what to do, because winter and rain is coming and my top is down. Please help .
thank you
No need to disconnect any hydraulic ram cylinders or latches if you have a hydraulic leak and hydraulic pressure has already dissipated. The top is heavy. With the assistance of a strong helper, you can lift the top out of the trunk, place in the closed position and secure it manually.

·
Registered
4 Posts
No need to disconnect any hydraulic ram cylinders or latches if you have a hydraulic leak and hydraulic pressure has already dissipated. The top is heavy. With the assistance of a strong helper, you can lift the top out of the trunk, place in the closed position and secure it manually.
Is there a hook or levers because it seems impossible to open the top back in order to get the top out of the car. Or do I open the trunk first?

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi guys, i have a 2007 Pontiac G6 GT convertible. i have a similar problem to the users above, my top is stuck in my trunk. going by you guys instructions and suggestions. I have done the following, i have checked the fluid in the hydraulic chamber and filled it, i have fixed the wired that where a little torn, but after trying to open the top again i have recently found that the chamber is leaking and since the top is in the trunk i have no access to it. I read that you can take the top out the trunk manually by releasing the hydraulic pressure relief valve on the pump.

Now my question is if you guys know where that valve is specifically located on the pump so i can manually pull the top out the trunk. thank you guys

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same issues in Florida. No one can seem to help me without charging me $2000 - $4000.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you ever find a solution? I'm having the same issues in Florida. No one can seem to help me without charging me $2000 - $4000.
Is your convertible top up or down? Does the trunk open when initiating a top down? Does the trunk open normally from the key fob or the button on the driver's door? Have you performed any troubleshooting? Where are you in Florida? I'm in SWFL until April 2022 and may be able to help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm in Naples. I can open the trunk with fob or door. When I Initiate the top it won't do anything now. The fluid keeps running out. The top won't make any noise at all but it tries.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm in Naples. I can open the trunk with fob or door. When I Initiate the top it won't do anything now. The fluid keeps running out. The top won't make any noise at all but it tries.
Sounds like the main hydraulic rams are leaking...common problem. I replaced mine last year. I'm in Bonita Springs, if you want to make the drive over one day, I'd be happy to look at it and troubleshoot for you. I'll PM you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had an issue with my '07 convertible here recently and have tried to figure it out for some time. I've searched the site and can't seem to find anything about it.

I went to open the top a couple days ago and everything seems normal with the exception that the trunk will not fold back to allow the top to move. I don't think it's the pump as you can hear the whining sound like it's trying to move it but it's unable to lift it properly. The trunk functions normally and i can access it without a problem. Having the top isn't a necessity as it's starting to get into the humid and rainy season here in Florida but it is nice to be able to put it down now and again when it's a little cooler at night.

Could it be the hydraulic pump or would it be something else that allows the trunk lid to reverse open? And would it be something that I could do myself? I'm currently in the process of personally replacing a lot of the front suspension components when i get the free time. Lol! I would love to avoid an expensive dealership cost if possible!

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Not one of 12 gm dealers in cal. Would touch
This lemon of a top.
Go to the ⛱ beach and forget it.
A shame to end the silver streak reign
Like this. Curse you gm.
DeLorean had it right about you.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts