Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
It depends on what you mean by tune ups. The term "Tune up" doesn't really apply anymore to modern days cars and replaced by maintenance schedules.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just the typical...clean or replace spark plugs, air filter, replace distributor/rotor (and if needed...spark plug wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, and O2 sensor)

thought 60k seems more practical...factory G6 comes equipped with platinum spark plugs, yes?

·
Registered
453 Posts
just the typical...clean or replace spark plugs, air filter, replace distributor/rotor (and if needed...spark plug wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, and O2 sensor)

thought 60k seems more practical...factory G6 comes equipped with platinum spark plugs, yes?
All those items have different replacement intervals.
Distributor, rotor, fuel filter no longer need to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I'm thinking the manual and what seems most sane is replacing the spark plugs and wires (if needed) at 100k unless you are having power problems. Air filter should be around every 10k miles or so, usually the oil change places pull it out for you to look at and if it's clogged probably a good idea to replace it.

I had a 2001 Lumina that got "tune up" after about 100K miles before I traded in for the G6 that cost $600+ to replace the spark plugs/wires and PCV valve. I agree with mrslcom with saying I don't think the rest needs to be replaced.

·
Lifetime Member
3,269 Posts
This is a good topic, we can have several different driving habits and/or conditions. If you putt-putt around town or drive hard can be the factor in getting a tune-up. I used to work at a location that required me to drive on a gravel road for about a mile, behind other drivers. DUST was everywhere so changing the air filter was a regular thing. I just changed out a set of plugs on another car I drive (Mazda 6S) daily. I put 134000 on the original set of plugs but I drive 98% interstate with the Mazda so I feel the plugs will last longer than the G6 which is a daily driver for my wife. Being old school with automotive repair and modifications I rely on the performance of the car to determan if it needs a "tune-up" or just a set of plugs.
Back when, a tune-up involved spark plugs, points, rotor, distributor cap, spark plug wires, air filter, fuel filter and a timing check to name some of the items I changed out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that's good to know that there are fewer things done for regular maintenance...it significantly reduces the cost of car ownership (according to statistics, the 2007 G6 has a below average value rating. though, the '08 values are average and the '09 will surely do as well)

·
Registered
11 Posts
How much does a tune up cost?
"just the typical...clean or replace spark plugs, air filter, replace distributor/rotor (and if needed...spark plug wires, PCV valve, fuel filter, and O2 sensor)"

Anyone know what price range?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I plan on having the tranny fluid drained @ 75k, if I remember correctly it should be changed @ 100k.

At 100k I'll do the serpentine belt, wires, cap, rotor & plugs & flush the cool system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
where are the spark plugs??

i've got a 2005 g6 gt and i wanted to swap out the spark plugs for these bosh fusion plugs i just got. at first glance i figured that they go in near the top of the engine where 6 wires are plugged into this black base but i removed the wires and the spark plugs are to big to fit in there so i took the black base off to see if they go in underneath but its a no go, any ideas?

·
Registered
638 Posts
i've got a 2005 g6 gt and i wanted to swap out the spark plugs for these bosh fusion plugs i just got. at first glance i figured that they go in near the top of the engine where 6 wires are plugged into this black base but i removed the wires and the spark plugs are to big to fit in there so i took the black base off to see if they go in underneath but its a no go, any ideas?
mabey you should let a shop put in your spark plugs if you dont even know where the spark plugs are located :eek:

i swear some people do not need to mess with cars lol :bash:

·
G6newb
42 Posts
I plan on having the tranny fluid drained @ 75k, if I remember correctly it should be changed @ 100k.

At 100k I'll do the serpentine belt, wires, cap, rotor & plugs & flush the cool system.
Correct me if I am wrong but there is no dist. cap or rotor on these car.

Tune up should consist of fuel filter, plugs, wires.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I think you are right, is it coil packs?
Yes, that would be the black block bolted to the intake manifold near the fire wall.

IMO i would't bother replaceing that unless it actually goes out on you. i did the plugs not too long ago at around 78k miles and am goin to put in some new MSD super conductor plug wires soon when my tax return is deposited. im at 80k currently.

i also pulled off the throttle body and cleaned it too, i think i saw on another site where someone where someone put a catch can for oil in the PCV line for their GTO is there such a thing for the G6? i recently had the intake off an found quite a bit of oil inside the intake an throttle body already again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Fuel filter shouldn't require replacement. If anything the pump and sending unit will fail before the fuel filter clogs. Unless of course, you fuel your car with open gas cans that sit outside, then you'll have problems.

As for tune up, I change the oil once a year (Amsoil 0W30), check the air filter every four months, or seasonally (Amsoil high flow drop-in). The OEM plugs can go up to 100K, but I'd never leave any plug in that long, as you'd be asking to have a plug seize up in the head. Replace every 50K or less. After these OEM plugs are ready to go, I'll put in copper core plugs like I use in all my engines. I change them every 40,000kms, or 25K. They still look like they can give me another 25K, but for less than $2ea, it's a good investment to change them out.

One thing that is overlooked, even by some oil change places (if they do this), is to check the exterior lights and make sure they ALL work - brake lights too!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts