Pontiac G6 Forum banner

Turning into driveway.. BAM! Power steering fails!

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Gambit 
Depending on what year your G6 is you might have the same issue I had.

The 05 and 06 year G6 had electric power steering.

The problem was that GM bought parts from Toyota. In this case the steering column.

There is a little electrical part at the front of the steering column, towards the engine compartment, that fails, it then sends a signal to the computer and the computer freaks out and shuts off the electric power steering. making it damn hard to steer at all because you're pushing against not only the wheels, but the electric motors as well.

The bad news is that GM will not help. I went through HOURS of their BS before they finally said that they wouldn't help.

The warranty I bought for it did cover it, But ONLY after about an hour of back and forth phone calls with the service department lady at the dealership. The only reason they paid to replace it was that the car has no power steering pump, which the warranty did cover.

The only way to get the little electric part is to buy the entire upper steering column and replace it.

I didn't do it but the job looks like a PITA and took the dealer several hours.

I think that the cost of the parts and labor was somewhere around $800.00.

I only know that because I saw the paperwork the lady at the service counter was filling in. She was awesome by the way.

All I can say is good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.