Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I went out and got a box of Turtle Wax Trim Restorer to try and restore my side mirrors.
The part that sits on the car was badly faded already, but the mirror itself wasn't that bad.

Here's the product

Now it comes with a bottle of restore and a foam applicator which can be cut. They recommend to shake well and apply in direct sunlight to maximize the shine and protection.

Coming out of the bottle it almost seems like mineral oil. But regardless I went ahead and applied it. The second it touched the plastic it looked way better!
It seems pretty greasy and oily but it does make it look nice and rich and clean and shiny. I wiped off any excess and let it sit.
They say it should last for about 3 months.

I've tried Mothers back to black and as soon as I applied it everything went right back to normal. That was a complete waste of time.

So far I like how the turtle wax came out and I'll update in about a month or so.

Sorry I didn't snap any pictures, My phone was dead and I couldn't find my actual camera.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will do. I even went a little crazy and did the plastic rocker panels and the rear valance. Even my mud flaps. The true test is how it'll look after a good rain.
I can snap some pics of the mirrors after application.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well here's a two day update. It left a greasy residue so obviously it has collected some more dust and crud than the rest of the car, But I expected that. I purposely left it on a little thick so when I do a wash all the excess will go away and it should continue to look great. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright, It's been a week and the car has been through some rain and a couple of washes. First off all my plastic trim that I restored repels water like crazy! And it still looks really good. It seems to be a little blotchy and un-even but its very minor and not that easy to notice.

The plastic still looks nice and deep and new. But the plastic on the mirror is still slightly darker then the plastic on the car side. So perhaps another application is in order.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well it's been about 2 months.. And well here's how they look...

So I guess it didn't last the quoted 3 months, But almost.
Also seems it lasted better on the mirror itself but not the part that attaches to the car...
I went and applied more since I still had a whole messy bottle left.
Maybe after a few applications it'll stick for longer? Who knows.

What's funny is I went to wash the car before adding more. And the water still beads off the plastic like crazy, even the faded parts.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I've officially concluded that the Turtle Wax Trim Restorer does not work. It seems the more you need to apply, the more it doesn't last. The more it rains, or you wash your car the more it comes off and just looks cruddy again.

The product itself is messy to work with and just seems to get everywhere. Results are temporary at best. They said it should last about 3 months. Mine went back to faded within 2.

I saw a new product that's being advertised on TV to last through hundreds of car washes and they guarantee it'll work. I'm skeptical because you know those claims. But I figure maybe it's worth the cheap price for two bottles and whatever other crap they throw in. haha.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's primarily for the plastic trim on the car, all that rough black plastic they put on. It's really only meant for that, And it doesn't really last that long.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts