Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know what the purpose of the plastic piece just under the front of the car? I cracked it when it got causght on a chunk of Ice and had to end up ripping it off. Will go to the dealer soon to get a new one but does anyone thing it is bad to drive without this piece?

·
Registered
169 Posts
anth_97 said:
Anyone know what the purpose of the plastic piece just under the front of the car? I cracked it when it got causght on a chunk of Ice and had to end up ripping it off. Will go to the dealer soon to get a new one but does anyone thing it is bad to drive without this piece?
That's their attempt at deflecting some of the air that would normally pass under the car.

We don't have a "real" air dam, so that little piece of plastic under there performs as a very rudimentary pseudo air dam.

Nothing bad will happen if you don't have it there, but it may get just a very tiny bit lighter at higher speeds.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a overheating problem with my 2001 Grand Am GT. For some reason this piece gets more air in the engine compartment at LOW speed. I don't know if its the same with G6's but it has been installed there for more than an esthetic ??? reason. Same for my ex- 72 and 79 Corvettes.

Get it replaced.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You definately hit the nail on the head... I noticed today I was doing about 140KM/hr on the highway and the front end did get lighter and couldn't figure out why.
I will definately get it replaced. Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts