Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
You might try the Big 3 upgrade first. More often than not you won't need to upgrade your alternator.

Big 3 = Replacing the Alternator to Battery, Battery to Chassis Ground, and Engine to Chassis Ground wires.

After that, there are several companies that make upgraded alternators. Try these guys: http://www.ohiogen.com/index.html

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
What gauge cables should I use? And what other precautions should I take when doing something like this?
Definitely do research on car audio forums. Make sure you don't put undue stress on the cables wherever you run them by making them too tight but not so loose that you'll have trouble keeping them away from fans, exhaust pipes, the hood latch, etc. Keep in mind that the engine and its components move/vibrate separately of your chassis.

Your setup will depend upon what gauge cable you should run. Extreme route would send you to ought gauge cable. Competition to double ought gauge. You're talking some serious cash in copper!

·
Love my commute!
144 Posts
Alright sounds good to go. Thanks for you guys input. I'll try the Big 3 first the upgrading the alternator. But would i run into any other issues with the belts or anything else like that with the upgrade???

And i'll fix the type-o in my sig K&N intake not K&M.
No. If you get the correct alternator it will simply be a stock-fitting alternator with upgraded guts. Same size pulley and everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.