Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious as to whether I have to do any upgrades because I am looking to getting 17" or 18" wheels on my car, preferably the ones that come with the G6. I currently have the steel wheels with the hubcaps and they are starting to annoy me.

·
[IMG]http://i728.photobuc
132 Posts
you wont need any upgrade your just need alot of money. unless you can find used rims and tires your going to spend at least a thousand dollars or more on the changeover. I got annoyed the very first day i brought my g6. I appreciate the fact gm is selling a g6 for $18000 but come on those ridiculous huge ugly hubcaps on 16 inch tires. when you start geting into 16 inch tires and above hubcaps look totally ridiculous on any car. to bad us 08 byers were the only ones that got this setup the new value model includes 17 inch tread and rims now. thank you another g6 less we have to see driving around with grandmalish,ridiculous looking hubcaps

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's what I was afraid of. I've been looking at the 16" wheel that they have, but it's not exactly doing wonders for me compared to 17" and above, but it may be better than the hubcaps. I just hate that the hubcaps always seem to be hitting against the wheel and making noise.

·
132 Posts
T-Bone you got me thinking, Ive been saving up all my overtime money for a aftermarket sunroof that was going to cost about $700.00 bucks. everyone I talked to said dont do it big mistake. leaks leaks leaks. so today I made up my mind and instead spent the money on 17 inch rims and tires. I shopped around and the cheapest tire and rim set I could get was $1,067.28. I wasnt crazy about putting that kind of money out today but I am very satisfied. the rims are cheap 7 spokers but at least they are 17inchers. they make a big difference in the look of the car. My car is now FAT. the wheels fill out the wheel wells so much more now. I could of spent another $80.00 and upgraded to 18 inchers but Im not after the ghetto look(especially since my model is not a gxp) 17 inchers is enough for me. After icing up my bluizer at the carwash today I can really say now that this 08 g6 is SHARP! BET YOU CANT TELL ITS A VALUE LEADER MODEL NOW!

·
132 Posts
Had a feeling you would ask, camera will be over heating tommorow. stay tuned... I was browsing our competitors sites do you know that the ford fusion mid line model not the base (that comes with 16 in tires) comes with 17 inch tires but with hubcaps! I could not believe it a 23000 dollar model that has hubcaps on 17 inchers... come on ford can you spare the alloy. I just wanted to share that it blew my mind!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wheels will do wonders for even the ugliest car thats for sure but as for the sunroof dont be to quick to dismiss it, i had a Webasto tilt and slide put in my Sunfire and i absolutly loved it, it was so quiet on the hwy compared to the one in my G6 it cost the same as a factory one ($1200) and had a lifetime warranty on leaks so if u do reconsider go for it the only downside is that its not as big but not by much, every car needs a sunroof. :cool:

·
132 Posts
thats exactly the one I was quoted for the power tilt and slide roof by webasto $670.00 with a lifetime warrenty. that is just my luck someone with one says their great. now im sick I want my sunroof. maybe if I start cleaning up my tires and rims now they will take them back. the heck with sitting on vacation this wharehouse worker is ready to go back for some overtime. I want my sunroof!:mad:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I didn't intend to convince anybody to get wheels......but I'm still planning for this summer, when there will be extra money around. I'm assuming that I don't have to get any different size rotors or anything?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know this may sound stupid, but since I want to do it right the first time, which one of the 17" or 18" stock rims are better? The reason I ask is that I see some are chrome, others alloy, just looking for a little help here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'd also consider selling my 16" 5-split spoke alloys, which are currently on my car since I'm actually looking to sell the 18's. They weren't on the car for very long before I had purchased the 18" GTP rims....and the 16s are virtually scratch free and SUPER clean. I would sell those for $500...no tires however as mine are worn.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know what the tire learn feature does on the G6? I drive a 08 value leader and I have no idea what the tire learn does. I am putting on new rims this week so will that affect it? what is that feature for anyways?

·
Registered
638 Posts
Does anyone know what the tire learn feature does on the G6? I drive a 08 value leader and I have no idea what the tire learn does. I am putting on new rims this week so will that affect it? what is that feature for anyways?
its for resetting the TPMS ( tire pressure monitoring system) for the car to lear what wheel is where on the car. hope you got the sensors put in your new wheels or it will be driving you crazy with the low tire pressure lights and messages. columbus MT eh? im working in billings right now. see ya around maybe lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hate to bump an older thread of mine, but I finally got the rims, however I have one more question. When it comes to changing from the 16" steel wheels to the 18" GTP wheels, are there different lugnuts as well or are they the same?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.