Pontiac G6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my g6 gt without the factory sat. radio option. does anyone know if you can go to the dealer and buy the factory kit to put this into the car? It looks like they use the same radio just ad the roof antenna and maybe a chip in the radio. anyone have any info on that?

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am not sure what a dealer installed kit might consist of (or whether one is available) but for the G6 factory-XM there is actually a separate XM receiver that is installed on rear shelf of vehicle (around rear speakers) that is connected to the XM antenna. That module sends audio signal to an aux input on factory radio. They also communicate over serial data network which is how you get display information and such.

The radio in the dash actually doesn't require any changes although XM won't work with a base CD radio (with only the single line display). It only works on the 2 uplevel radio models that both have dual line display

·
Registered
557 Posts
You would have to get an aftermarket antenna, the factory cars have a different roof stamping with a hole for the antenna. The aftermarket antennas stick on with double sided tape. This is a fairly easy upgrade, just ask your dealer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good luck on the Terk unit

I called today about that unit as well and the guy at Terk was a real [email protected] "The G6 is not listed so no it wont work" and hung up. I don't have any more info other then what the @ss said.

If you get it to work PLEASE let me know. I miss my XM. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I spoke to a lady at myradiostore.com and she said she thought it would work. Supposedly any GM radio with a BAND button will work. I have the same stereo (6 disc CD) that the GT with XM standard uses so Im thinking Im good to go. BTW I ordered one on ebay today...175 + 10 shipping. I will let you how it works.

·
Registered
21 Posts
XM radio

Yes please do let me know. I have the standard 6 disc changer as well. I miss my XM. :(

Only problem with my radio is it is not XM ready and did not realize there was a difference in the radios either. Thought it was just the tuner box and antenna.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the XMDGM100 in today and rushed to Best Buy to have it put in and it does not fit. Apparently GM changed the wiring harness plugs and they are not compatible. :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
No XM...

Guess there is no recourse but to just install an external sat. unit and antenna. No wonder Terk said what they did. I hope they are going to make another plug or unit for the car, soon. :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
I tried to post these on the g6 site but couldnt figure out how to do it. I got this little unit for $ 80 and there is a $ 30 rebate. I looks pretty good but I need to put the power into the fuse box. This is a Sirius Starmate. I took a piece of two sided tape about an inch and a half long and put in onto the console. Not what I wanted to do but I am very happy with the outcome. I will be watching for something compatable in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts