Pontiac G6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chipper T
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Currently my steering wheel is moving by itself and doing crazy things. I'll notice it when driving straight, the steering wheel will keep pushing right and left. I'll also notice it when coming back from making a full turn, it will feel like it is pushing me back the opposite direction. The steering wheel also sometimes moves by itself, when it is in park? Keep in mind I have brand new tires and it was recently balanced and aligned..

Also a few times it stalled and the steering wheel locked up, followed by the "Power Steering" message displaying on the radio, along with wrench icon on the dash. Luckily this only happened while driving slowly..

Is this the issue that everyone else is having? It seems like it could potentially be very dangerous

Thanks for your time,
Chip

·
Chipper T
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Update

Update:

My car now consistently looses power steering. I have to restart the car 5+ times and it will still loose power steering when driving.

In case anyone experiences what was in my orginal post, beware that it's the early stages of the lockup issue.

Looks like I'll be building some arm muscles :).

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hi Chip,

I just sent you an email response with some information that may be useful to you. Please check your email.

Jackie
GM Customer Care

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Sounds like a torque sensor problem. The sensor and motor assembly is one piece. I wonder if its shorting out or something and making it go crazy.
Are the wheels turning with the steering wheel when its moving on its own? If so then there's probably nothing wrong with the rack or how its mounted.
You probably need a new sensor/motor unit. I think autozone actually carries this now, but I don't think its something you want to cheap out on.
Check with a dealer or gm customer service. Your vin may be covered for the repair.

·
Chipper T
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a torque sensor problem. The sensor and motor assembly is one piece. I wonder if its shorting out or something and making it go crazy.
Are the wheels turning with the steering wheel when its moving on its own? If so then there's probably nothing wrong with the rack or how its mounted.
You probably need a new sensor/motor unit. I think autozone actually carries this now, but I don't think its something you want to cheap out on.
Check with a dealer or gm customer service. Your vin may be covered for the repair.
I'm not sure if the wheel actually moves. I don't think it does. When it does this it feels really loose. Like if I drive straight and don't touch the steering wheel you'll hear it rattle and it move right to left. Looks like it shakes almost but sometimes you feel force.

They are running a diagnosis test tomorrow morning to see if anything is covered. The power steering of course hasn't failed for two days now, so I hope they can scan recent codes that popped up.

·
Chipper T
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I took it in they actually said it's probably the torque sensor like you mentioned. I'll find out for sure today.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
So it was the torque sensor assembly, and they did it at no charge?
How it should be!
Too bad it wasn't a smooth process, darn dealers!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts